1996 Challenger No Spark/No Beep

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotou

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I'm in desperate need of some help. Just bought a 96 Challenger from an auction that would not start. The owner was there and told me that he was on the lake, it died, and couldn't get it restarted. He also told me that he was starting to foul plugs out regularly but he thought that it was the type of 2 stroke oil he was using.

The first thing that I ran across was that it didn't beep when the lanyard was installed. I have checked the plug going to the MPEM and it has 12v. When I plug the lanyard in, the engine will crank over but no fire to the plugs.

I have also tested the white wire going to the coil, there is no voltage there.

I am a past avionics mechanic so one of the things that I started to look for was a pin pushed back at the primary connector to the MPEM. I do not see any evidence that this has happened.

I have checked all of the fuses, both behind the instrument panel, and at the MPEM.

There is no noticeable corrosion at any of the terminals....battery, connectors, etc

Ive heard mention that there should be two ground wires coming from the battery. I only see the one primary.

Every troubleshooting method that I have found on the net I have pretty much tried before I bothered you guys with this.

I guess the biggest question I have is when I put the lanyard on and the motor kicks over, is my MPEM still good?

The other question I have is if the stator or pick up is bad, does the MPEM require this to send 12v to the white wire on the coil?

Thank you so much in advance for any help that you guys can offer me.

The CDI is part of the mpem and could be bad. The mpem will still try to start the motor without spark from the cdi. CDI needs proper input from stator to produce spark. diagnose your stator first.

2x2smoke,

I really appreciate the reply....I'm going to check the stator tomorrow. What do you think the reason for it not beeping when the lanyard is put on? Is it indicating a problem?

Ok, so I checked the stator and pickup coil and they came back good. The pickup coil registered .25 to .36 ohms at 2k setting. The only other thing that I can think it could be is the MPEM. Do you guys have any other suggestions before I replace it?

Well guys, it ended up being the MPEM....Ive got a good friend that owns a pwc shop and he had an extra MPEM handy, couldn't believe it. Got it installed and programmed, and he even programmed me a new key, he is awesome. I guess the only question that I have left is what do I do with the old MPEM? Is there someone that can troubleshoot it or possibly fix/modify for a backup?

The only fix i've read about is diode replacement if your mpem keeps blowing a fuse. (not your problem right?) i have a bunch of diodes.

You have nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing if there is anything burned inside the cdi etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back