1995 XP losing prime

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bbe036

Hey all. New here but love all the info. Just bought my first Ski, 1995 Seadoo XP 717. Ski runs great after I get it going. Hits 7k rpm and runs well. Issue is it's super hard starting. Wasn't when I tested the ski but I've since learned the seller was sketchy. Since taking it home, 5 days ago, the ski is super hard to start. It just turns over with no sputter or attempt to start. Might take several minutes if not longer before it will fire off. Then it runs awesome. If I shut it off and restart, no problem. Longer I wait to restart tbe harder it is to start. After an hr or 2 it's back to long cranking. Assume I'm looking the prime? Should I install a priming bulb? Figure it didn't need a bulb when new so shouldn't need it now

Sparkplugs were just replaced the other day
Someone recently replaced all of the fuel lines. Not sure when but they don't look old.
Fuel filter under steering wheel was clean. Fuel selector switch appears to be original. Could this be the issue?

I'm assuming I need to rebuild the carbs but as I've never done that before wanted to see if there was another component I should be looking at before tearing into something that might not be a problem as they appear to be working once started

Really appreciate any ideas. I'm not super experienced but I can learn and fugure stuff out if given an idea.

Next to repair the flooded VTS and in-op Fuel guage, fortunately there is a ton of info on this site 😀

Do not install a priming bulb every on these.

Yea you need to rebuild the carbs. Please follow the carb rebuild thread sticky. Please read it before ordering parts.

Thanks for the confirmation, I was assuming and kinda hoping this was the logical step. Im so sorry that i am new to forums but what or where can i find the referenced Sticky?. I just found the step by step tutorial on this site for rebuilding the carbs. I plan on ordering OEM rebuild kit. Thanks again.

Yeah, it’s just at the top of the thread list for the 2-stroke section.
Link is also in my signature line.

Yeah, it’s just at the top of the thread list for the 2-stroke section.
Link is also in my signature line.
Yeah that was the tutorial I came across. Super awesome detail. I'm going to use it when I rebuild my carbs once parts arrive. Thanks again!

Back