1503 Exhaust gaskets

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DooC180

So to the point, my question is "Does anyone know the PN(s) for exhaust manifold gaskets for this engine?"- 2007 Challenger 180 (215hp). The parts catalog doesn't seem to show/list them. I cant believe its just a metal to metal seal...

Now for all those who are asking why and want to read the long winded story (input welcome). I have been having an ongoing starting problem mostly when the engine is hot after shutting off and sitting in the water for a hour or more. Replaced plugs, coils, injectors, fuel filters etc. it happens fairly regularly and once the boat starts it may run rough initially but cleans up rather quickly and runs flawlessly. I recently came across some info of the same exact problem caused by water ingestion, either from a leaking IC or a leaking exhaust manifold. This makes perfect sense with my issue and would also explain why the dealer was unable to duplicate it in the shop as they shut the hose off before shutting the engine off which would give it enough time to purge the manifold of water and eliminate the problem from occurring. Anyway I pulled the IC and pressure tested it in water- it looks to be in great shape and I could not for the life of me get any bubbles to come out when applying air pressure to test it.

Since I do not have a tow valve installed my next step is to try and install a tow valve on the cooler line and close it shortly before shutting the engine off with the hope that this will closely duplicate the conditions the dealer tested it under and reduce the amount of water in the manifold, in turn reducing the amount that leaks into exhaust chamber and presumably fouls out the plugs when I am unable to restart it. If I am wrong, I will have installed a tow valve and I can move on, no harm/no foul. If this improves/eliminates my starting issue, I would still like to repair it before it gets any worse. Thus requiring removing and repairing/replacing the exhaust manifold- at that point I would also be inspect/test the water jacket in the manifold to prove out my theory.

Would love to hear from anyone who has pulled one of these manifolds especially if it was for a similar concern. Open to constructive input...

*Prior thread; C180 Hard Start after sitting for an hour

Last edited:
Fiche doesn't seem to list a gasket? or even a skim coat of RTV?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
According to PWC muscle the manifold uses high temp RTV, no gasket required.

This info should be added to the old thread but it is locked;

In other GOOD news, installing and closing the tow valve just before shutting the engine off and reopening after starting seems to have solved my re-starting issue 100%. At this point, I have to assume that the manifold was/is leaking a small amount of water back into the cylinder(s) and fouling the plugs.

Unfortunately, it developed a new problem over the weekend. The boat backfired real loudly when starting and now it has limited RPM/speed (6500/25mph). I pulled the pump apart (hoping) to find a clog but everything looks great in the pump. Pulled the SC off and checked the slip, SC is in good shape. was thinking maybe the backfire broke something in the exhaust and caused a restriction but on the trailer/hose it revs right up to the rev limiter faster than the digital gauge can keep up. Had to order a 12mm adapter for the compression tester, will test it tomorrow and hopefully rule out any major engine issues.

Not sure where to go next, these boats are lots of fun :rolleyes:… all I can say it its a constant learning process!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back