06' 3D-DI taking on water fast, hydrolocked engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mk1spyder

So Boats etc. in asheville had my 06' Seadoo 3D-DI for 3 months. I told them to fix anything and everything they see wrong because I don't want any problems. I just bought it and didnt really know the history. Well in that 3 months all they did was change the spark plugs, put a battery in it, and patch some scrapes on the hull. Sure enough the first time I take it out it tanks. I was riding it for maybe 6 minutes and it just started to choke out and smoke. Blueish smoke was coming from the engine bay and it died. Pulled it up on a beach and the hull was packed full of water to the top of the engine, can't believe it didnt sink. Anyways the engine sucked in alot of water. It has the 951 DI engine.

So I got it back on the trailer, drained the water out of the ski and pulled the plugs. Cranked it over until it blew all the water out of the intake and cylinders. Put the plugs back in and fired it up, took awhile to start and doesn't seem to be idling quite right, misses every now and then. I inspected the entire hull for holes and couldn't find any, looks great. The drain plugs were in.

1. How could the hull be getting flooded so badly with no holes?

2. Have I damaged the engine? If so what repairs are most likely needed now? How can I test and see if my engine is running at 100% and producing the power it should be?

This was fresh water.

Sorry to hear man! Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. You may want to test the compression at the least. From my understanding you want the compressoin to be around 150psi, maybe as low as 135psi and you want both cylinder's to be within 10psi of each other. If you aren't getting that kind of compression then you are possibly looking at a top end rebuild.

I have a similar issue and posted a thread and got no response. I bought an '01 RX DI from a dealer 1 week ago and everything tested fine. I'm new to the PWC world and didn't know at the time of the purchase that the ski was missing 2 of its vent hoses. First day out it was running great and I made a quick turn to knock my passenger off for fun and I was pulled off as well. I ended up flipping the ski upside down. Rolled it back over and tried to start it to no avail. I had it towed back to the ramp and put it back on the trailer. Pulled the seat and the engine was 3/4 covered by water. I drained it and pulled the plugs just like you did to remove the water. After a few tries the engine turned and idled great. Well, I took it back out yesterday to test it and unfortunately it ran at 50%. I could only get it to 35mph. It should easily hit 60mph and I could not get it there.
I checked my compression, one read 110psi and the other 115psi. The spark plugs looked shot, but, I don't think this could be the reason for 50% performance. I'm still looking for answers, I may end up rebuilding the top end.

Ya, ok i'll compression test it when I get a chance and let you know. I just didn't know what was a good number for a 2 stroke. This may sound stupid but do our 951 DI engines use reed valves? If so I heard some where they need to be replaced if you get water on them.

Could be cooling line issues. Were you getting water to spew out the side of the bow (I have a 05 3d RFI ) at the outlet? If there was no water coming out of that, there could be a hose that came off or burst, causing the water for the cooling system to pour right into your hull. Overheating would soon follow if this was the case though. Hope this helps your search for the mystery hole:)

I remember seeing some water coming out of that outlet, but that doesn't mean it wasn't leaking. I dunno it doesn't seem to have overheated, but I haven't had a chance to check the compression yet. I'm just going to send it back to boats etc and cuss them out for being the worst service center of any vehicle i've ever seen.

the rave valves are under the black round caps with a metal wire over top of them acting as a clamp. I have not opened mine up yet so that's the best I can tell you. If you take it to the shop, I would be interested in knowing what they tell you or what they diagnose the problem to be and how to fix it. If I discover anything on my side with mine I will let you know. However, I won't be able to get to mine until Sunday, If I'm lucky!

So Boats etc. in asheville had my 06' Seadoo 3D-DI for 3 months. I told them to fix anything and everything they see wrong because I don't want any problems. I just bought it and didnt really know the history. Well in that 3 months all they did was change the spark plugs, put a battery in it, and patch some scrapes on the hull. Sure enough the first time I take it out it tanks. I was riding it for maybe 6 minutes and it just started to choke out and smoke. Blueish smoke was coming from the engine bay and it died. Pulled it up on a beach and the hull was packed full of water to the top of the engine, can't believe it didnt sink. Anyways the engine sucked in alot of water. It has the 951 DI engine.

So I got it back on the trailer, drained the water out of the ski and pulled the plugs. Cranked it over until it blew all the water out of the intake and cylinders. Put the plugs back in and fired it up, took awhile to start and doesn't seem to be idling quite right, misses every now and then. I inspected the entire hull for holes and couldn't find any, looks great. The drain plugs were in.

1. How could the hull be getting flooded so badly with no holes?

2. Have I damaged the engine? If so what repairs are most likely needed now? How can I test and see if my engine is running at 100% and producing the power it should be?

This was fresh water.

mk1spyder, most likely you have a cooling blockage through the tuned pipe, and the exhaust system was not being cooled. Your plastic exhaust baffles would have melted, the exhaust gas filled the hull and snuffed out the engine. With the baffles melted sea water would then have flowed into the hull.

Are the exhaust baffles towards the rear of the ski? I noticed when I pulled it out of the water that the water was gushing out of the rear of the ski before I ever pulled the drain plugs. I was thinking propshaft seals? Either way the engine only compression tested at 100psi so its done.

Mine has four. 2 up front and 2 in the rear just underneath the back of the seat. If you are missing any of them and you roll the ski, it will more than likely flood the engine compartment. This is what happened to me. I didn't realize that I was missing 2 on my ski. One in the front and one in the back. I rolled the ski and the engine was 3/4 covered by water. Was a very disappointing day! :banghead:

You're 3d should only have 2 rave valves. If the resonators (if that is what you are refering to as "baffles") are located in the back of the doo under the floor. There are 3 sets of these organ looking pipes. The upper resonator and lower resonators (broken down into 2 on top of each other). I've read in other threads that the DI has a tendency to melt the couplers for some of the exhaust pipes, causing the resonators to melt and then water to enter the hull. Check the forum out for this thread. I'll link it if i find it

Are the exhaust baffles towards the rear of the ski? I noticed when I pulled it out of the water that the water was gushing out of the rear of the ski before I ever pulled the drain plugs. I was thinking propshaft seals? Either way the engine only compression tested at 100psi so its done.

The resonators (baffles) are under the rear deck of the ski. The prop shaft seal could have gone but I don't think that would explain the exhaust in the hull.

Lift the rear cover and check the bilge hose hasn't split near the outlet. Mine did this so I wasn't emptying just filling up. Also re tighten all your clips/ banjo or tident, whatever you call them over the pond.

yes, the 951cc. (2) stroke has reed vavles, sounds like you have some water in the engine that needs to be flushed out with gas, doing this requires you to run it , riding it like your trying to get away from something evil, make sure you have fresh dry plugs in before you start. Mine took about a 45 minutes riding time, before the ski ran right again for me.hope this helped, be @ Sebastian Inlet at the Hole, just look for the BLUUUURRR. P.S. look at the pump area, check all the boots,if rips or cracks replace, mine leaked when I first got my ski. Had a loose zip strap, causing my constant hull fill up. see ya.
Me again, also had to check all electrical dept., and connections, dielectric greased all connections, forcing the water out.OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back