04 Sportster 4tec with high rpm and low power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scsifun

Hi all... I have an 04 sportster 4tec that is running very strange. At about 2000 rpms it run normal but when I give it more power it revs higher but won't get on step. It almost feels like a car with a slipping clutch. Any idea what could cause low power output and high rpms? Strange thing is if I let it plow water for a little while, sometimes it feels like something engages, rpms are normal and it gets on step. However, I'm still not getting top speed. If I try to go from zero to wot it's very noticeable. Again, like a slipping clutch in a car. It's currently with my Seadoo mechanic and he took it out, it did the same thing for him and he pulled it all apart. Seems it has him baffled to. Help!

Baffled? It is pump cavitation. How long have you had this boat? I ask because this is extremely common and happens every time you suck up seaweed, or a plastic bag. You mechanic will take a close look at the pump and check for a bad wear ring, impeller damage, bad pump/hull seal, or weak carbon shaft seal. He should be less baffled after he pulls it apart.

Had a similar problem with mine. Debris In the pump sometimes then when I pulled the pumps they were shot! Corroded all to hell. Wear ring shot too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back