01 challenger 210 carb won’t stay running.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short I had the carburetors rebuilt after having problems with the boat flooding out a few months ago and to my luck after putting everything back the stator went bad and 3 flywheel magnets came loose. I replaced the stator and put a new fly wheel and the boat started pretty easily. After taking out on the water the mechanic adjusted the carbs out on the water and it ran pretty good. It revéd to 5k and was kitting about mid thirtys. The water was a bit choppy so I fingered it was normal. When I went out again the next day I could not get it past 10 mph at 4K and it started to struggle and turn off. I managed to get it back to the marina and put it on the trailer again. Called the mechanic and he said it could be the fuel pump. I rebuilt the pump with an mercury quicksilver kit and replaced all the fuel lines for peace of mind. But I still can’t get it to run right. I’ve check the Manual and can find the settings for the mixture. At this point I’m thinking that the mixture is wrong but I can’t find how to rest the mixture so that I can check that off as a probable cause. I’ve also drained the tank twice and refilled it. By any chance does anybody know what the settings should be in the mixture screws?

I'm no mechanic, but my Challenger 1800 with the 210 carb model did the same rev to 4k and go 10mph thing last year. I did a carb clean, and checked stater, etc, but it still ran like garbage. I changed the plugs, and replaced one of the switch boxes on the starboard side (the wires were dried and crusty), and it ran like a top for the rest of the season (hitting mid to high 40s).

thanks for the reply... i replaced the switch boxes last season but now that you mention that i will check all electronics this weekend just in case. i still think the problem is with the carbs or the enrichment solenoid. the mechanic came by today and he thinks theres a loose vacuum hose so he took the service manual and is going to look over it. He will probably swing by this weekend and start checking for any vacuum leaks.

Check the fuel filter on the port side. My 210 wouldn't plane. It just plowed water at around 4K. After replacing the stator that tested just barely out of spec, and troubleshooting the entire ignition system, I found that the fuel filter ends were almost completely clogged with crud. It's easy to miss if it has never been replaced because its painted the same gloss color as the block.
I know Its hard to believe that after 18 years nobody would have changed the filter. Trust me. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back