Jet Pump Housing Sealant?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireball451

Putting my jet pump back on my '97 SPX.
I have installed a new neoprene seal.
I know I need sealant around the bailer fittings and the water line fitting that goes into the hull.
Do I need to put sealant around the whole pump housing as well or just around the lines?
Also, I plan on using Permatex Ultra Black High-temp RTV silicone gasket maket.
IS the permatex ok instead of locktite right stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
No if you have the neoprene seal in there no need to seal the pump to the housing. Just make sure when putting the pump back on you do not pinch the neoprene seal or it may tear and be no good. Any gasket make should work, you don't need a high temp but that should work fine.

Ingredients?....

Read the ingredients.....you'll see it's 100% silicone. I do not pay the extra money buying into the name. I keep a chalking gun around with a tube of standard 100% silicone. Be careful though, some that have 100% silicone also have acriylic in them. You don't want anything arcylic.

As for the gasket, when I bring my pump to the hull, I use a thin layer of the silicone. Just for piece of mind. I hate doing a job twice.:cheers:

My 2 cents. And that is about ALL it is worth.

I put my Challenger back together without sealant, and no problems (I used the neoprene ring).

I put my XP back together with silicone sealant. Wanted to get into it a couple weeks back, but it won't budge. Stuck like superglue.

I will never use sealant again. Too difficult to pull apart later. Maybe just a little dab here and there, but not gooped all around.

Laughter!.....

Yeah Scooper.....that's what happens when you gob it on. If you noticed in my post, I said a "thin layer"...........and that's what it means.

When you get your seal, your only going to shine it (very lightly coat) with a small dab of the stuff or you'll end up "glueing" it like you must mentioned.........

That was too funny. I guess there are a lot of people who have done it though. I do believe I was one of those, several years back..........:cheers:

HAHAHA...the brunt of your jokes...:rofl:

But I have an XP pump stuck to my ski....kinda sucks if you are me.:ack:

Next time, I will pry it off and use minimal goo to goop it on.

HAHAHA...the brunt of your jokes...:rofl:

But I have an XP pump stuck to my ski....kinda sucks if you are me.:ack:

Next time, I will pry it off and use minimal goo to goop it on.

Hey Scoop....had a 93SP once, along with the manual, and in the manual, was pictures of specific "factory" tools you'll need to perform the task. Well, one those pics, was a pump removal tool, in which was nuth'n more then a tighten/pull mechanism. From the pic, was able to 'fab' one up, with some scrap angle metal and believe 2x4's, made the jig, and, walah..pulled pump off like no other...

I might have to make one of those for a one-time use. I have the manual for both the XP and Challenger, and I recall seeing that setup.

The only reason I used extra goop was because when I took it apart, it had a lot on there, I assume from factory. So I figured it needed alot.

That wear ring better last a long time because I am not looking forward to pulling that thing apart :ack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back