8 Tooth or 9 Tooth Starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattblack59bus

Been having a few issues with my starter on my 96 GTX, It will kick in and turn the motor once then drop back and keep spinning (until I let go of the start button), Not sure whether to change the brushes or to buy a new one, but on ebay they have both 8 and 9 tooth starters for the 800 motor? Can I use either one (8 tooth for more torque but slower speed) or must it match the flywheel?

Cheers
Marc

Flywheel!....

It must match the flywheel....and although I've had a post similar to this one, I can't remember which one. Your a premium member, you should be able to find this in the manual. I"m at work right now, but if you have problems finding the info......let me know, and I'll get it for you.......

I looked in the manual and didn't see the amount of teeth on the starter. I would pull it and check before you buy.

Starter...

I have a spare starter at home on my workbench for your engine. Tonight, when I get home, I'll count and let you know. I think it's 8, and pretty sure I read it in the manual at some point in time.

I have just pulled my stater out, it has 9 teeth, which I think could be the wrong stater, which could explain my troubles. On ebay the 9 tooth model is used on the 600cc and 650cc GTX from 92 to 95

Does anyone have a parts list for the 1996 GTX 800 motor, and what model number starter it should have?

Cheers
Marc

parts list....

Marc, I just sent you a PM.....Look at the top right of your screen, above this one.....and click on "private messages".........

Well it looks like I have the right starter fitted, its a Denso 228000-4560, which is the same as Seadoo part 278-000-577, which is what is shows on the Seadoo website for my 96 GTX, And it has 9 teeth.

Cheers
Marc

Great!.....

That's great to hear....I hope the members in the forum were able to help you out. If you have any more issues, please feel free to start a new thread, as this one will be considered solved and closed. Thanks for your support of the Seadoo forum............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back