4 tech crank gear twisted.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Mekanix

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a 2003 4 tech with a twisted crank gear. Looks to be off almost 3 teeth counter clockwise.
Can the gear be removed and repositioned?
Is it heated and pressed on or is it keyed.
Not much for picturesout there.

The pic is with the locking tool in place

Attachments

• 1714506206478268647298182773400.jpg
    1714506206478268647298182773400.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 4
Are you sure you have the locking tool in the correct hole? You have to use a flashlight and see the hole before you put the tool in as it will lock in almost any position.

The crank gear is not keyed and has to be heated and pressed off as it is just an interference fit. To reinstall, you have to heat the gear to about 800 degrees(no hotter or you will anneal it and lose your heat treat hardness) and it will slide on and shrink in place in about 3 seconds. Done a couple and is not easy but doable.

Are you sure you have the locking tool in the correct hole? You have to use a flashlight and see the hole before you put the tool in as it will lock in almost any position.

The crank gear is not keyed and has to be heated and pressed off as it is just an interference fit. To reinstall, you have to heat the gear to about 800 degrees(no hotter or you will anneal it and lose your heat treat hardness) and it will slide on and shrink in place in about 3 seconds. Done a couple and is not easy but doable.
Had the crank out. No other holes on that lobe.
And yeah no keyway. I'm looking at maybe removing the crank and pressing it off and then heating like you said.

The locking tool will still lock the crank if it's not in the hole. You verified with a flashlight and saw the hole? I've never seen the gear slip. It will rip teeth off before it slips which is why I changed them.

The locking tool will still lock the crank if it's not in the hole. You verified with a flashlight and saw the hole? I've never seen the gear slip. It will rip teeth off before it slips which is why I changed them.
Yup definitely in the hole. I checked several times. That's what threw me off. I couldn't believe it either.

I'd say there is a chance that the crank and/or gear will be ruined due to this slipping that much. I'd suggest just getting a new crank assembly because I think something is going on with that one like maybe somebody else removed it once and got it too hot and annealed it which is why it slipped.

I'd say there is a chance that the crank and/or gear will be ruined due to this slipping that much. I'd suggest just getting a new crank assembly because I think something is going on with that one like maybe somebody else removed it once and got it too hot and annealed it which is why it slipped.
Took it out and pressed it off and yeah there is a hot spot on the gear that looks like it was attempted to be heated, so new crank it is.

Mechanic for 50+ years. Really enjoy reading this kind of fact-based diagnostic info (in a world that's so full of BS).
I have a 2003 GTX 4-tec (bought new) that I have maintained regularly... and have had basically NO major issues with.
Replaced wear ring, steering & reverse cables, etc. all with the help of this site. Really appreciate your continued help.

Back