3D leaking oil into cylinder - looking for advice on options

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdaugherty33

I have a 2006 3D that I've had for a few years. Ran great up until I took it out of storage this season. Seems it has the common issue of the seal going out and 2T oil leaking into the cylinder. I've researched it and it sounds like it will require a complete engine tear down to replace the seal. It will start when I clear the oil out of the cylinder but it becomes hydralocked again by the time I get to the launching ramp - about 5 minutes.

I think my options are:

1. Sell dirt cheap if I can find a mechanic that wants to take if on - I've had an offer of $500 on it
2. I've read mixed reviews on the possibility of ditching the oil injection and going pre-mix. It's fuel injected but I've heard it can still go pre-mix on this model without clogging being an issue.
3. Part it out - it has good compression so the motor is still ok, I have a nice OEM cover and the kart seat so I figure I would come out much better if I took the time to part the big stuff.

Any thoughts or additional options? I'm not much of a mechanic so that probably limits a few other options.

Thanks in advance.

Another option would be to go with a reman engine. You could part out the cart seat to cover some of the cost. I have a 2004 and a 2005 with 2 cart seats and mine don't get a lot of use.

The 2006 is a DI so no you can't premix it. Also it has no rotary valve so 2 stroke oil can't be leaking into the cases.
You could have balancer shaft oil leaking in if the inner crank seals are bad but this only holds a very small amount of oil. Your oil pump check valve could be bad draining the oil into the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back