12V Hi on 2010 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tluecke

I am getting a 12V Hi message on my dash when operating the boat. I have not run enough to notice much if it comes on and off depending on the amount of RPM's. Doing some research, I've seen that it can damage electronics if boat continues to run with error message. Seen lots of posts on 12V low, but very little on 12V high. Initial thought is that it's voltage regulator, but without knowing for sure not sure I'm ready to spend $155+ to replace. I do not have CanDoo reader (have considered based on future troubleshooting). Thoughts/input on initial troubleshooting, repair.

Also, MAINTINENCE is displayed on the screen with the 12V high. Boat has 55 total hours, and thinking the maintenance might be regular service reminder at predetermine hour intervals.

Lastly, throwing this out there for any input .... I've owned the boat in MN since mid-Aug 2020. Have not been on it a lot of hours yet. I have noticed the front end will dive sometimes under water or at least very close to the water when I throttle back and someone sitting in front. Is this common? I've tried having passengers sitting in the back as much as possible to prevent this, as well as throttle back much slower.

Thanks in advance!

I am getting a 12V Hi message on my dash when operating the boat. I have not run enough to notice much if it comes on and off depending on the amount of RPM's. Doing some research, I've seen that it can damage electronics if boat continues to run with error message. Seen lots of posts on 12V low, but very little on 12V high. Initial thought is that it's voltage regulator, but without knowing for sure not sure I'm ready to spend $155+ to replace. I do not have CanDoo reader (have considered based on future troubleshooting). Thoughts/input on initial troubleshooting, repair.

Also, MAINTINENCE is displayed on the screen with the 12V high. Boat has 55 total hours, and thinking the maintenance might be regular service reminder at predetermine hour intervals.

Lastly, throwing this out there for any input .... I've owned the boat in MN since mid-Aug 2020. Have not been on it a lot of hours yet. I have noticed the front end will dive sometimes under water or at least very close to the water when I throttle back and someone sitting in front. Is this common? I've tried having passengers sitting in the back as much as possible to prevent this, as well as throttle back much slower.

Thanks in advance!
Don’t know about the codes, but yes, the bow is turned down a little towards the water and makes water over the bow a probability. At anchor, on rough water, the bobbing of the boat and the timing of the waves will occasionally have one spill over. Learned also to keep weight/people in the back when there’s 2-3ft waves. I haven’t had any issues when slowing down rapidly but I don’t usually kill it with people up front. Not uncommon and just a unique trait of the boat.

Assuming this a merc engine,,,have a look at the 3 yellow charging wires,,,do they look burnt at the connector,,,usually this indicates a reg issue,,,

Thanks in advance!
I think your instincts are correct, that a problem with voltage regulation could be caused by a faulty voltage regulator. I would get out your volt meter and do some voltage checks, independent of the boat's volt meter (btw, what does it say?) and whatever sensor is used to create 12V HI code. You can just check the 12V cigarette-style socket to get your system voltage reading. Check off, idle and at with some revs (~4K get a helper).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back