X4 Dash Decal Replacement How-To

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispy

I have been in the process of modernizing my 96xp recently and I wanted something to tie in to my new seat cover. I wanted something that mimicked the stock dash sticker but with some flair.

Stock Pic:
106.jpg

So I started by removing my tach and the choke and DESS post. See above.

Then I taped a plain piece of copy paper over the stock decal.

107.jpg

For this part I am going to take you back to grade school, pencil rubbings.

Using the side of my pencil I shaded around the perimeter of the decal making a outline on the paper.

108.jpg

The next part is extremely important, you must gather a children's cereal box with sugar as the main ingredient.

109.jpg

Using spray adhesive attach your pencil rubbing to the cardboard box.

110.jpg

While that is drying, lets go ahead and remove the factory decal. I used a heat gun, followed by some WD-40 to remove the rest of the residue.

111.jpg

Once it is removed, clean with a good solvent. I used acetone as it leaves nothing behind.

112.jpg

By this time your grade school pencil rubbing should be dried to the cardboard.

Cut along the traced outline making a nice cardboard template of the OEM sticker.

113.jpg

Now lets prep the material, for this sticker I wanted to use something simulating Carbon fiber. I ended up getting this small section of 3M di noc from a buddy.

114.jpg

Flatten your material before the next step.

115.jpg

Trace the outline of your template on the back of your material. Ignore the choke cutout, it ended up not being necessary.

116.jpg

Go ahead and cut the vinyl along the outline, You should now have a sticker ready to be applied. Clean the hull once more with acetone before going to the next step.

Then carefully apply the decal over the existing holes. I started at the bottom and worked my way up.

117.jpg

There is no soapy water under this decal so move slowly and push all air up to the top.

118.jpg

Now here is the tricky part, using the heat gun or a hair dryer on low go ahead and heat the material around the holes in the hull. The 3M material is great for this and will form fit to the hull.

Once it cools go ahead and trim to make room for the choke and DESS post.

119.jpg

Re install the choke and DESS post and enjoy your work.

120.jpg

121.jpg

Note: I will edit this in the morning. If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367809320.888093.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367809320.888093.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
Yup looks great! Wanna send me that cardboard cut out? Lol I ripped off my sticker before I had a chance to trace the decal and I really like the look of yours!

Yup looks great! Wanna send me that cardboard cut out? Lol I ripped off my sticker before I had a chance to trace the decal and I really like the look of yours!

I will see what I can do. I may trace my pattern out on a piece of paper and scan it in as a PDF and post it somewhere. Then you could print and make your own.

Bringin this guy back up, that looks awesome kripsy! Did you have to scan it in as a PDF? I would love to print it out on a piece of 11x17 paper and cut the vinyl the same way you did.

Bringin this guy back up, that looks awesome kripsy! Did you have to scan it in as a PDF? I would love to print it out on a piece of 11x17 paper and cut the vinyl the same way you did.

Actually it fits on 8-1/2 x 11

Anyone who wants a copy just send me a PM or post your email in the thread and I will gladly send you the PDF by email.

I just scanned it in and printed it without changing any settings and it kept the scaling without any problem.

Only thing I'll have to do is trace it from the backside sense the cut out for the choke got transposed to the opposite side as Chris stated on the template, which is no biggie I can handle that :)
135.jpg

Sent from Cody's iPhone

Only thing I'll have to do is trace it from the backside sense the cut out for the choke got transposed to the opposite side as Chris stated on the template, which is no biggie I can handle that :)
135.jpg

Sent from Cody's iPhone

Yea, I ended up not using the cutout on the di-noc material. The heat gun made it almost flow into the choke area perfectly.

Glad it worked for you!

Well, I don't currently have any more di-noc material. I am thinking about ordering some more. What would one of these be worth to y'all? I suppose I could make a few to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I don't currently have any more di-noc material. I am thinking about ordering some more. What would one of these be worth to y'all? I suppose I could make a few to sell.

Material + Work + Ship&Handle = Price!

If it sounds good Ill take one.

Let me know as well... I'm sure there's a good amount of interest

Ok, I will post in the thread when I figure out a price.

All, I put together an estimate as to what these would cost me to make.

Using genuine 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl I could sell these for 15$ each shipped to your door.

For those of you that have multiple skis or want multiple attempts at application, I would sell the first one for $15 and any additional for $12 each as I could ship them all in the same package.

As it stands now I will be hand tracing and cutting these as di-noc doesn't play well with vinyl cutters.

I would ship these trimmed and ready to install as in these pics.

167.jpg

Note you would need to use a hair dryer or heat gun to get it to flow into the choke area as I did.

I thought about including the interior cutouts in the piece , but if it is applied off center slightly they won't line up. It is really quite easy to apply and trim the holes once it is stuck to the hull.

168.jpg

This 3M di-noc is really top of the line stuff, it has the kind of "depth" you see in real carbon fiber. I have used it for a season in the sun and water and it still looks as good as the day I installed it.

169.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you want one and I will send you my PayPal address.

Thanks,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back