why didn't it sink?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoo gringo

2022 wake 170, in ocean.
Well, first post, hope it's in the right forum, and like the headline implies I'm curious why my 2022 wake 170 did not sink two days ago without drain plugs...

I'm a new rider since I bought this a few months ago. I usually ride around most days, because I'm right at the beach, but hadn't in 2 weeks while my atv was being repaired, because I tow the seadoo with it. I put it in as usual, tying up to a line off the beach. I road it for about 5 minutes then tied it up again for about 40 minutes. Rode it with 3 people for almost an hour. Then tied it up again for 3 hours. Then rode it again solo for about 40 minutes. Then took it out of the ocean, loaded it on an aquacart beach trailer and up to my place 100 yards away. Then I went to connect the water hose to rinse the engine, WOW both drain plugs are hanging out. For all that time in the water.
Why didn't this sink?
Additional info: there was not even a drop of water coming from the drain plug holes after I was in my yard ready to rinse. No water inside when looking with seats off. Did that drain out when I was putting it on the beach trailer and the several yard uphill slope into my backyard? I usually don't remove the drain plugs except for the occasional engine rinse down, obviously don't remember removing and not replacing the last time.

I am so very curious as to why this didn't sink, and no water at all inside.

There are one way valves integrated in to the drains so if you accidentally leave the plugs out the valve will slow the ingress of water. Eventually though the ski will sink without the plugs in.

On pretty much all jet-pump PWC's, there is siphon bilge drainage system.
That system sucks out any water through a pickup at the bottom back of the bilge (on either side of the pump tunnel). From there, a hose (or two hoses) goes up to the top of the engine compartment, above the waterline, and then loops back down to where it connects to the jet pump nozzle. The connection is piped to a place in the nozzle where the pressure is actually negative due to the way the water flows through the nozzle (venturi effect). You can usually see the little pipe(s) sticking down and out the nozzle near its end. The negative pressure induced by the water flow siphons the bilge pickup to actively drain the bilge (whenever the PWC is running).

So if you drove the PWC just before you put it on the trailer, it could have actively emptied the bilge then.

The same effect explains how you can drain a boat by opening the drain plug at the lower bottom of the transom while underway - the water flowing past the back edge of the transom creates negative pressure there (or an air gap if up on plane). So if your drains were open, they would have also been draining the bilge while you were riding before putting the PWC on the trailer.

(diagram from an older Kawasaki parts manual)

jet-ski-ultra-300x-2012-56_1000.png

Last edited:
2022 wake 170, in ocean.
Well, first post, hope it's in the right forum, and like the headline implies I'm curious why my 2022 wake 170 did not sink two days ago without drain plugs...

I'm a new rider since I bought this a few months ago. I usually ride around most days, because I'm right at the beach, but hadn't in 2 weeks while my atv was being repaired, because I tow the seadoo with it. I put it in as usual, tying up to a line off the beach. I road it for about 5 minutes then tied it up again for about 40 minutes. Rode it with 3 people for almost an hour. Then tied it up again for 3 hours. Then rode it again solo for about 40 minutes. Then took it out of the ocean, loaded it on an aquacart beach trailer and up to my place 100 yards away. Then I went to connect the water hose to rinse the engine, WOW both drain plugs are hanging out. For all that time in the water.
Why didn't this sink?
Additional info: there was not even a drop of water coming from the drain plug holes after I was in my yard ready to rinse. No water inside when looking with seats off. Did that drain out when I was putting it on the beach trailer and the several yard uphill slope into my backyard? I usually don't remove the drain plugs except for the occasional engine rinse down, obviously don't remember removing and not replacing the last time.

I am so very curious as to why this didn't sink, and no water at all inside.
Just curious, how is the wake 170 in the ocean? Does it handle Chop OK? Considering that or a Kawasaki Ultra 160. Thanks

The wake 170 is good. Very subjective to say it handles chop ok. I definitely don't do flat out speed when it's 1'+chop, but 1/2-2/3 speed is ok. Depends on the wind direction vs riding direction. The adjustable trim thing works well. So I will say I can't go 80-90 kph in choppy seas comfortably.

I had a buddy who wanted to ride, but he said he had lost a drain plug. I told him back the ski into the water and let it sit for 15 minutes. It didn't take on any water and we rode with no problems that day. Not saying you don't need drain plugs, but it's reassuring to know a simple mistake won't ruin your day.

The small drain port has an internal plastic ball in a cage at the tip of the plug (on the inside beyond the threaded plug zone; that allow water to drain out while cleaning (ball rolls to the rear; water drains); but, for the forgetful, the static water pressure of water trying to come IN the same port pushes the small ball forward against the cage and prevents water from pouring in; but if either ball gets dirt/grit/debris trapped inside the cage then the balls won't close enough. The siphon drain system is effective; but putting the plugs in is best.
Personal Tip: The plugs are just held in with small barbed ends to keep them inside the port. They can become twisted and eventually fail; thus loosing a plug while trailering, etc. Your hardware / Home Depot store will have a small PVC plug for regular plumbing that will work also. However, my barbed ends looked twisted; so I took them out and put them in a ziplock baggy WITH THE KEY lanyard when I am done for the day and keep them together in the glovebox. Obviously, I put them in while prepping the ski since they are in my hand and brain at the same time as the key. Never forgot to put them in. Hand tighten like normal. I have two spare plugs in the baggy too just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back