What was your Most Miserable Bastid ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have to say my most miserable Bastid award goes to my current project 1996 Seadoo Speedster boat. It is at the top of my list because I don't like working on boats so it is an enigma why I even bought it. You can't get to parts without hanging over the side, and this SOB had too many idiots working on it before I ever touched it. Most skis need everything and that's what I do straight away. Being a twin engine boat this bastid needed everything TWICE. :) I wish it could tell me its story.

My most miserable Jet ski was a 2004 GTI RFI that I installed an engine I rebuilt 2 years earlier. Maybe 20 hours on the ski. This project was a bad start from the beginning but it snuck up on me. :D I replaced a starter for the gentleman and after I got the ski started it sounded terrible but ran good. I thought briefly about how long the engine would last. When the owner came to pick up the ski I started the ski, it ran fine then quit and wouldn't start. I told him I'd take a look. After a week and about 10 hours labor (free labor) I offered to buy the ski from him for almost what he paid for it 2 years prior. I figured, can't be much wrong with it, I just built the engine. Ha ha. If it had been day time my initial troubleshooting might have been successful. :D When I removed the Rotary Valve cover, the valve came off the shaft. I was trying to verify the position (maybe gear damage??) :) So I just retimed the engine in the dark fighting mosquitos. Every now and then it would start for a second. I spent another 20 hours easy checking everything, replacing parts (I have spare everything) "No Joy" I decided to pull the engine and.... there ya go... rotary valve, which I checked the shaft during inspection "The gear shaft was a little worn cuz there was a tad more play than I like to see." The engine likely stopped at the only spot on the gear that was left. I am now a freakin guru on the RFI. :D :D Then after I repair the engine everything should be great right? I notice the charging plug is getting hot during my test ride and break-in. So back to troubleshooting. Don't you know the dang MPEM is bad now?? :D I had a spare and all was well. Gotta love the adventure. :)

What happened to the engine to cause that? Somebody put gasoline in the oil tank and didn't drain and flush that tank or rotary valve oil reservoir. I think they guy needed the money so I'm not displeased about it all. This is a hobby for me anyway. I enjoy it.

The Menace

GTI RFI Completion (12).JPEG

Last edited:
Back