UMI for X4

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

critracer

Some of you know that I have been prototyping a replica of the UMI X4 steering system. My prototypes are almost completed so it's time to throw it out there who is seriously interested in these. They will not be cheap but you will be purchasing a brand new assembly with the stem for 1-1/8" fat bar, no 7/8" bar clamp offered. The top clamp, stem, steer stop and top plate will be anodized black, as bright clear will set the price even higher. I'm only figuring on 10 units if the demand and commitment is higher then quantity will increase and price will drop. I will have to produce these through my work. Tentatively it looks like price will be around $650.00 plus shipping. I know it's higher than buying a broken, worn out used one, but again it's new. This is only a feeler so let me know what you think.

$650? Ouch!

I don't think anyone else has every really sat down, drawn every individual part on cad and actually machined the parts like I have. Then figured material, machine time (our machine rates range from $70 to $100 per hour) and been this focused on true costs. With only this few of units there's a lot of set up time that is only amortized across 10 units.

That's for sure a lot. So really with shipping safe side would be 675. I would have to think about it. ...

I don't think anyone else has every really sat down, drawn every individual part on cad and actually machined the parts like I have. Then figured material, machine time (our machine rates range from $70 to $100 per hour) and been this focused on true costs. With only this few of units there's a lot of set up time that is only amortized across 10 units.
Oh yeah I'm sure it was A LOT of work. I think it's awesome that you actually went through with it. Can't wait to see the final product

When you take all the work each individual part takes to mesh together...then on top of that get Anodized and packed amazing too it all adds up. Ill prob be in for one.

No to take away from your hard work but has anyone ever contacted UMI to see if they would do a small run?

If the UMI was $500ish twenty years ago they would probably need at least $650ish today with inflation. I think they might still be around just not in the watercraft industry. It's good to see somebody actually getting new X4 steering systems done these days. I have read where people "were gonna" many times but it never seemed to materialize.

I've searched for Scott Urshel can't find him. Looks as is he may have shut down after she died

161.jpg

Not same ppl. I was hoping that the drawings for his products were still around and maybe he would sell them to keep the legacy alive.

As Matt said...I can only assume with how many millions of dollars in these machines these shops have, a $150 jump in 20 years isnt much. In all reality these will be more heavy duty than the originals with just a couple modifications.

What about a making the piece that bolts to the UMI to hold the steering cable longer and cut at an angle? I'm talking about the black piece holding the steering cable. Then you could just make the base plate flat as long as it doest get in the way of anything.

I can't tell if it would hit anything on mine right now as the hull is still gutted.
1.jpg

What about a making the piece that bolts to the UMI to hold the steering cable longer and cut at an angle? I'm talking about the black piece holding the steering cable. Then you could just make the base plate flat as long as it doest get in the way of anything.

I can't tell if it would hit anything on mine right now as the hull is still gutted.
1.jpg

Hhhmmmm....maybe, as long as the steer cable doesn't hit the base plate???
Might have found someone to bend these for me. Find out this weekend.

Hmm, disregard my suggestion. The black piece would actually need to be shorter if the base plate was straight. It was late so apparently I wasn't thinking straight, lol.

Some of you know that I have been prototyping a replica of the UMI X4 steering system. My prototypes are almost completed so it's time to throw it out there who is seriously interested in these. They will not be cheap but you will be purchasing a brand new assembly with the stem for 1-1/8" fat bar, no 7/8" bar clamp offered. The top clamp, stem, steer stop and top plate will be anodized black, as bright clear will set the price even higher. I'm only figuring on 10 units if the demand and commitment is higher then quantity will increase and price will drop. I will have to produce these through my work. Tentatively it looks like price will be around $650.00 plus shipping. I know it's higher than buying a broken, worn out used one, but again it's new. This is only a feeler so let me know what you think.

I would be interested in getting one of these in hand.. send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back