Towing PWC behind a boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty1986

Hey guys,

Freaking out a bit here: I just bought two 2022 GTX 300 for an upcoming trip where I wanted to tow them behind my sail boat for approximately 60 miles at speeds up to 9 knots. The manual says 5MPH max. They're arriving the day I set off on my trip.

I haven't even seen the skis yet, and I can't find any schematics/diagrams of the cooling system. I'm going to guess there's one coolant intake hose coming from the high pressure side of the impeller, to the engine and an outtake hose to an exhaust. Are these hoses flexible on my model? Can I just crimp either of them with a vice grips?

I understand that without exhaust pressure, water can make into the engine. Will blocking the coolant hoses solve the issue, or could water still migrate back thru the exhaust in forward motion? Or any other problems I'm ignorant of?

Long term, this is going to reduce the utility of these skis for me as I had planned to take them on multiple trips towed behind my sailboat. Will a valve work on these model? The engine model is Rotax 1630 ACE.

Has anyone had any problems?

THANKS!

I don’t have a 300 GTX, but yes, the video does show the exhaust cooling hose from the jet pump that you need to close. I would only use vice grips in an emergency. I am surprised to hear the 300 GTX is a 5 MPH threshold - other skis are higher and above 10 MPH so you wouldn’t have to worry. But go ahead and modify your skis with a valve and you will be good to tow without worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back