speedster 150 255hp water in crankcase and will not go over 50% power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

VikingTrad3r

Hi All, first post.

I have a speedster 150, 255hp.

i had my supercharger rebuilt as a preventative measure at the beginning of last summer. I had 1 year of great highspeed runs in the bot and plenty of hours tubing with the kids.

We are in the boonies here and i do my own winterization. I was under the impression all i had to do for winterizing (it gets very very cold here, -40) was run rv antifreeze into the garden hose fitting and blow all the water out, replcing it with pink rv antifreeze.

Im fairly sure that is where i went wrong. We will come back to my intercooler in a sec.

This year i launched the boat after giving the bot a once over — oil was full and CLEAN — and it started immediately and appeared great. Unfortunately the boat would not go over about 60% power. It has a sort of rough surging at half throttle, and will not spool up to full power.

I hit the web, googled, found this forum and did the following:

1. cleaned the fuel filters, wasnt much of a cleaning but i did use wd40 on them and i made it so u could see through them. no change.

2. drained the fuel, thinking it was bad gas. It looked sort of straw coloured, yes, smelled a bit like turpentine suppose.

It was at this point that i decided id better check the dipstick, even though i did before launching the boat. it was clean. now its....milky.

soooooo. i removed the throttle body intake hose and i found residual water. The boat is now out of the water so i only ran it for 30 seconds and once i blew water out no more came in. i could relaunch the boat, and see if fresh water keeps coming.

However...that milky oil. I noticed while running the boat in the water, when i came off theottle quickly, there was almost a muffling sound from the engine. ....thinking when i closed throttle abruptly created high vac condition and it was sucking water maybe?

anyway, i know i need to suck the oil out and flush it 3-5 times until no more milkyness exists.

and i need to pull the intercooler and pressure test. Problem is I cannot find any diagrams or forum posts of where the intercooler is.

Can anyone help with a link to a removal and replacement of the intercooler?

Cheers all!

most 255hp the intercooler is a separate from the engine. Looks like an aluminum triangle (sort of) with the output of the supercharger going in and out to the intake on the engine.

most 255hp the intercooler is a separate from the engine. Looks like an aluminum triangle (sort of) with the output of the supercharger going in and out to the intake on the engine.
thnx Pretex. i did find it, and i did verify it was blown.

didnt get too fancy, just blew in the water inlet while plugging the outlet with my thumb, and the small 1/4” line nipple. you coukd hear the air escaping slowly just using mouth pressure.

the leak is real, but, im not sure its big enough to cause my symptoms. ive ordered a replacement intercooler

Been there, done that and replaced the intercooler.

Most likely the failure was water in the air side due to condensation. They create a lot of it on humid days as the hot moist air hits the cooler intercooler.

If you don't dry it out, there could be water in the fins and it will freeze. (Photos attached)

Now for winterizing it. This last year was my first year and I actually took the intercooler out for the winter. Kind of extreme but for me it was easier to remove than building something to blow it out.

This year, I will make an adapter for my compressor to blow it out.
1e3e830f586cd48eadfb0308630430dd.jpg

BTW, either you have a 2012 or your IC was replaced before.

I say this because yours has the vent, which did not exist on my original from 2011.

My new one has the vent, which I just ran tubing up the air vent and zip tied it to the cleat.

As for the engine.. are you in fresh or salt water? I am in brackish and I could see the results on my plugs. I would suggest you change them. Luckily for both of us, unless you have a catch can, these engines have a healthy amount of oily blow by, which typically ends up lightly coating your intake. You will see that in the intake hose from the filter to the SC. Sounds like you had a good amount of water in there so I would flush and run. If you are in fresh water, I would do it twice in 5 hour increments. If you are salt, I would do it 3 times in an 1/2 hour increment.

Mac....thankyou for all the information and sharing of experience. Ive ordered a replacement intercooler. going to take a long time to get here...

ill be running 5w20 through it tomorrow with the garden hose for 5min (i think thats max?), then drain and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back