Shaving RAVES

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

XP_Dave

I have a 99 GTXL and just had the top end bored out 1mm over. When I put the RAVES back on the top end, prior to putting it on the rest of the block, the RAVES come no where close to protuding into the cylinder. I was preparing to shave .5mm of each of them but putting them back on they aren't even close to entering the cylinder. Would it be possible the RAVES are wrong? I've only seen one size so I didn't think so. I'm just perplexed. Does anyone have any help on this? I'd greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks.

I cut a (.020") shim. You can make it out of a feeler gauge. Generally have to use a pair of pliers but position the piston in the cylinder and use the shim to determine if you are close. I rock the rave a bit to make sure the sides are not gonna touch. That might be a little over kill. A little extra is better as far as I am concerned. I have a suspicion that some engine builders cut the rave provided much more clearance than needed. I don't know what affect this will have on performance. If your situation I'd figure a method you are comfortable with to make sure the clearance is sufficient. It isn't difficult but tedious. LOL Good Luck !! Just a note :No rings on the piston and do this before mounting anything. Good Luck !!

I cut a (.020") shim. You can make it out of a feeler gauge. Generally have to use a pair of pliers but position the piston in the cylinder and use the shim to determine if you are close. I rock the rave a bit to make sure the sides are not gonna touch. That might be a little over kill. A little extra is better as far as I am concerned. I have a suspicion that some engine builders cut the rave provided much more clearance than needed. I don't know what affect this will have on performance. If your situation I'd figure a method you are comfortable with to make sure the clearance is sufficient. It isn't difficult but tedious. LOL Good Luck !! Just a note :No rings on the piston and do this before mounting anything. Good Luck !!
Thanks Gene, I'll give it a try!

Back