Sea Rayder F-16

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

I am about to buy a 96 Sea Rayder F-16 with single Mercury 120 hp engine. Does anyone have or has owned one? What are the pro's and con's to this boat besides only having one engine. Please advice before I spend $4000!!!!

I was going to buy a Sea Rayder F-16 till I found my 1997 seadoo Challenger, with a 787 110 H.P. The F-16 has a mercury engine in it.It doesn't handle as well as the seadoo, and it doesn't have a trim adjuster like the seadoo. If you need parts I found it was a bit tricky to locate any. I did my research and discovered that the 1997 challenger has parts availiable all over the place. I liked it so much I bought a brand new Seadoo 200 speedster.

I'll sell you my 1997 challenager in prestine condition for $5500.00. It has a bimini top, full cover, depth finder, full coastguard kit and I rebuilt the Galvinized trailer from end to end.

Karl

I appreciate the offer, but your boat ran in salt water and your too far, I live in Chicago. The one I'm looking to buy ran in a lake. But more info on the rayder is welcomed.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I bought it last sept. From person that never ran it in salt, garage kept. I ran it in salt for a total of 21 hrs on the hr meter. I live on a brakish cannel...1/2 salt 1/2 fresh.

Mercury...

Although the Sea Rayder looks like a Seadoo, it handles a bit differently. You will find parts for this boat a lot harder to find.
Seadoo used the 210 and 240 hp Mercury M-2 V-6. It was a nice engine but Rotax came out with an engine that could deliver the same horse power with their 4-TEC engine, which is only 3 cylinders and weighs a lot less.

Good luck boat hunting!........:cheers:

My father bought a 96 F-16 Sea-Rayder for "us kids" in the early summer of 1996. We had a choice of the boat or going on a cruise in the Caribbean.. it was essentially a no-brainer at the time.

Anyway, comments I could give:
I never had any engine problems in the 230 hours put on the boat.
Top speed was about 44mph with 1/8th of a tank of fuel, 170lb driver (what I would give to weigh that much again.. lol) and minimal amount of gear.. in calm seas.
Sea-Ray makes quality boats, though, don't expect this to be the fastest jet boat on the lake.

One thing important about this boat is the latches that keep the engine compartment closed.. they're flush with the hatch and difficult to read. At higher speeds if you forget to have them in "locked" position, odds are at some point the hatch will open and catch air.. which is a serious safety hazard. This personally happened to me while trailering... luckily no one was injured. There are many ways to prevent this from happening; usually involving aftermarket secondary latches. My dealer installed mine for free..

I liked the boat. Any other questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back