Q's about rebuilding oil pumps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

kmarts

Hey all,

I'm about to tear down the oil pumps on my 06RXT. Previous owner had the SC washers go and of course just had the SC rebuilt, i found metal shavings in oil filter and want to pull things apart to clean it out and fix what's needed.

My hope is that i can get away with rebuilding the oil pumps, and will inspect the crank bearings for any scoring, will fix as needed. I'm also going to replace the flywheel bolts while I'm in there.

Main question i have, do i NEED to pull the head when focusing on the oil pumps and crankshaft or can i leave it in place?
If i can avoid replacing rocker bolts, head gasket/bolts, etc... I'd like to. Engine compression was fine and it did run great so I don't want to take apart the entire engine if I don't really need to.

Metal shavings in the oil filter is normal. Every time its started the bendix gets slammed into the flywheel which causes metal shavings. I'd inspect front oil pump first to see if you have remnants of the ceramic washers which you will find in the screen before pulling the motor.

Engine can be cleaned out pretty well without removing the head but you should at least inspect the camshaft journals to see how scratched up they are.

Metal shavings in the oil filter is normal. Every time its started the bendix gets slammed into the flywheel which causes metal shavings. I'd inspect front oil pump first to see if you have remnants of the ceramic washers which you will find in the screen before pulling the motor.

Engine can be cleaned out pretty well without removing the head but you should at least inspect the camshaft journals to see how scratched up they are.
See attached photo... is that normal?

The guy I bought it from said he had the supercharger rebuilt but I didn't know enough at the time to ask how extensive the shop went to make sure the washers were retrieved from the oil pump(s).

So youre still saying pull the cam, will do.
So you don't even need to pull the engine and take anything apart, just flip'er over? Sounds like pretty bad advice.
Haha, I knew what he meant, I already have the motor pulled in the garage. Just haven't disassembled yet.

Attachments

• 20231006_120909.jpg
    20231006_120909.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 7
That oil filter has more than typical but if the oil hasn't been changed in a long time that is what it will look like. You should check with a magnet to see if all of that is steel. Steel slivers and specks are normal, aluminum is not.

That oil filter has more than typical but if the oil hasn't been changed in a long time that is what it will look like. You should check with a magnet to see if all of that is steel. Steel slivers and specks are normal, aluminum is not.
I didn't attach more pictures but there were multiple pleats with that amount in it. They were larger pieces, not fine, and didn't exactly give me an easy feeling lol.

The history on this thing is a big unknown which is why I decided to pull the engine. I'd only feel better after opening things up.

is the starter/flywheel the only components shedding steel into the filter?

So I think I found the source of those shavings... looking in the supercharger hole there's a part of the case worn away (attached).

I cant figure out what would have hit it though.

This engine has been opened before, oil pumps were rebuilt, I haven't taken the bottom off yet. Everything's been clean, nothing im the screens, so I'm contemplating if I even should.

Edit:
So after holding up the supercharger to figure out what might have done this, the gouge by the starter bendix lines up with the SC washers or the nut. Either way, I don't know enough to estimate how that could have impacted the case. I couldn't find any other damage aside from it looks like the stator coil rubbed the metal cup at some point.

I'm thinking that this mark was pre existing to me finding metal shavings in the filter.

Attachments

• 20240422_182528.jpg
    20240422_182528.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
That damage is typical of sc failure where the sc gear breaks and/or sc bearing failure. My guess would be that the sc failed and they did take the pto housing off and cleaned it out. If you don't find any evidence of broken ceramic washers or damage created from those, that is a good thing and most likely the engine will be fine.

That damage is typical of sc failure where the sc gear breaks and/or sc bearing failure. My guess would be that the sc failed and they did take the pto housing off and cleaned it out. If you don't find any evidence of broken ceramic washers or damage created from those, that is a good thing and most likely the engine will be fine.
That's what I was kind of piecing together.

Oil pumps have been rebuilt, pto housing gasket was aftermarket, everything is generally clean.

The only thing I haven't pieced together is where the metal shavings in the filter came from. Unless of course it's really typical as suggested. Generally feeling better about the whole thing.

Thanks

Back