Making a group of riders to spend a day at lake lanier or west point sat or sunday GA

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ricardo1

I would like to have a decent size of riders to spend a day at lake lanier or west point lake in Georgia either saturday or sunday, not an actual has been set date but probably next few weeks, the more people the better so bring your friends, family, coworkers etc. Post on here if you are interested in going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replied in an earlier thread. I am on Lake Lanier. The next two weeks are still nippy. The water temp is still pretty cold and any wind on South Lake will cut right through you. We usually don't get our group going until mid April and that's about a two hour event. My ski is still in the garage and I still have a heater in the boat.

-Dave
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replied in an earlier thread. I am on Lake Lanier. The next two weeks are still nippy. The water temp is still pretty cold and any wind on South Lake will cut right through you. We usually don't get our group going until mid April and that's about a two hour event. My ski is still in the garage and I still have a heater in the boat.

-Dave

I do agree the water is still cold, how do I know? I went out sunday when it was 75 out and when the water hit me it was cold to say the least haha. I should be able to change the ski fluids this weekend so the ski should be ready by April. When you guys do the riding event is usually 2 hrs in the water?

Yup. About 2 sometimes 3 hrs. I have a place near Dawsonville. Anything above the first bridge is referred to as North Lake. Below is South Lake. The "big water" is in South Lake, and so is the wave action. Cruising at 35 mph, it will take 30-45 minutes to go from North Lake to South Lake. We usually stop at one of the restaurants. Fish tales at Aqualand Marina, Pelican Petes at Port Royale Marina, both have gas. There are others. I will be up there on Friday and probably over the weekend. I'll see if I can get the water temp.

BTW, the lake is full. It is 1070 ft above sea level. 2 yrs in a row. WooHoo!

-Dave

Yup. About 2 sometimes 3 hrs. I have a place near Dawsonville. Anything above the first bridge is referred to as North Lake. Below is South Lake. The "big water" is in South Lake, and so is the wave action. Cruising at 35 mph, it will take 30-45 minutes to go from North Lake to South Lake. We usually stop at one of the restaurants. Fish tales at Aqualand Marina, Pelican Petes at Port Royale Marina, both have gas. There are others. I will be up there on Friday and probably over the weekend. I'll see if I can get the water temp.

BTW, the lake is full. It is 1070 ft above sea level. 2 yrs in a row. WooHoo!

-Dave

GREAT info Dave, I was hopeing someone will chime in and help about gas and food, I would definatly like to tag along and check everything out. Let me know when you get some reading on the water so we can go from there. It would be me and my brother on 2 skis.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here's the latest info. I was at the lake today with the guys that are part of the normal ride group.

The good news is that there are 5 more that are interested in a join up with your West Point crew. And later this summer, maybe you can host us at West Point.

The bad news is that the temperature in Lake Lanier is 43 degrees. That was measured in a cove about 15' deep. The main part of the lake is a few degrees cooler. Unless you have wet suits (we do not), that is too cold for us old guys. Hypothermia in a few minutes. One of the guys took his boat out when it was warm last Sunday. It said if you were sitting still in the sun it was fine. When you were moving, the wind off the cold water required winter coats.

We are targeting April 17 to get going, but we are going to need some full sun days to get some heat in the water.

So, the next few weeks do not sound promising, but we have a good amount of interest.

-Dave

I forgot... A number of the lake-based lunch spots may not be open. One of the guys is checking to see when our lunch haunts intend to open this year.

-Dave

Just caught this thread, I am interested in a West Point lake ride. I live in LaGrange and I am itching for a ride. My XP is still winterized, but I am willing to pull it out and get it ready. It seems all the freezes are gone.

So here's the latest info. I was at the lake today with the guys that are part of the normal ride group.

The good news is that there are 5 more that are interested in a join up with your West Point crew. And later this summer, maybe you can host us at West Point.

The bad news is that the temperature in Lake Lanier is 43 degrees. That was measured in a cove about 15' deep. The main part of the lake is a few degrees cooler. Unless you have wet suits (we do not), that is too cold for us old guys. Hypothermia in a few minutes. One of the guys took his boat out when it was warm last Sunday. It said if you were sitting still in the sun it was fine. When you were moving, the wind off the cold water required winter coats.

We are targeting April 17 to get going, but we are going to need some full sun days to get some heat in the water.

So, the next few weeks do not sound promising, but we have a good amount of interest.

-Dave
I wouldn't like to ride unless is nice out and not have the need of wet suits, that day you said april 17 I think would be a good since more then likely it will be nice out, next week the coldest day will be 72 so the water should start getting nicer.
Just caught this thread, I am interested in a West Point lake ride. I live in LaGrange and I am itching for a ride. My XP is still winterized, but I am willing to pull it out and get it ready. It seems all the freezes are gone.
I have to go by there to make the lake, I have been itching to take the ski out again, I gave it a shake down for about 50 minutes and it was good besides the cold water. If I were you I would de winterize the ski at the end of next week and have ready for around the 12 of next month.

I'm located in GA on the GA/TN state line a couple hours from Lanier and about a couple hours from West Point. I would be interested in crashing your party, if you guys will come up here and ride later this summer.
There are several ride options on the TN River. We could launch above the dam and ride Chicamauga Lake all the way up to the split where the TN River and Hiawassee River come together. I usually ride up the Hiawassee, but a person could ride the TN river all the way to Knoxville if you carried enough fuel. LOL
Can also launch below the dam and ride the river through downtown Chattanooga into Nickajack Lake via Raccoon Mountain. Either way is about 65 to 70 mile round trip.

I never rode on West Point, but always wanted to. Had a Houseboat on Lanier back in the early 80's at Gainesville Marina "A" dock. Not even sure if "A" dock even exists anymore. That was when I lived in the Atlanta Metro Madness. LOL
Anyway, sorry to ramble just thought it sounded fun.

Sounds great. A couple of guys in our group are going on a 3 day TN River cruise, I think in July. Around Chattanooga sounds mighty fine.

Stay tuned to this thread, I live north of Atlanta ( the traffic is way worse than you can imagine when you were here), and have a place on Lake Lanier near Dawsonville. My neighbor is from Calhoun, so you can cut straight East from I75 to get there. The water temp is brutally cold right now, but the lake is full (1070+ ft above sea level) and looks great. We are not planning to go out until we get a little heat in the water.

-Dave

Took the ski out yesterday, saw few boats and 1 ski which was an older couple and had just bought the ski so I followed them and give them tips on riding.

We ( my normal riding group) are launching our toys tomorrow and planning our first ride next Fri, weather permitting. The lake is still pretty cool. 50's in South Lake, right at 60 in North Lake.

-Dave

I went out yesterday and had a great time. Lets pick a weekend day and setup a ride!
I took the skis out with my brother on Saturday and everything was good. this week doesn't look good at all but if next week looks good I am down.

We ( my normal riding group) are launching our toys tomorrow and planning our first ride next Fri, weather permitting. The lake is still pretty cool. 50's in South Lake, right at 60 in North Lake.

Hopefully it clears up some because it looks bad this week for me.

-Dave

I picked up my new to me 4-tec (2011 GTI 155 LTD) yesterday. With the sun out on Sat, it was not bad. Yesterday was pretty chilly. I only rode it about 20 minutes to get back to my place and it was uncomfortable.

The weather does not look good this week. So let's keep a watch on that.

-Dave

I picked up my new to me 4-tec (2011 GTI 155 LTD) yesterday. With the sun out on Sat, it was not bad. Yesterday was pretty chilly. I only rode it about 20 minutes to get back to my place and it was uncomfortable.

The weather does not look good this week. So let's keep a watch on that.

-Dave

Congratulation on the new ski!! I do agree Saturday it wasn't bad, I was going to the lake Sunday but the sun didn't even show up all day so I decided to wax the xp with my bother and just have them ready for the next outing. Glad the weather is finally getting nicer so we can get the riding season started!!! This was Saturday

Back