Lake Livingston--Texas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Anybody ever meet up at Lake Livingston to hang out somewhere on the lake? I took my RXT out for the 1st time this year Monday Memorial Day and put 2 hours on it's clock, had alot of fun just riding it around and doing the odd donuts from time to time. It ran great, it was great to see Livingston up to the full mark again!

Lake Conroe now has an official "MeetUp Group" online, but I don't really care for that lake. We need to get some people together up at Lake Livingston (or let me in on an existing group there please???????)! LOL!

Any events or anything ever held at Beacon Bay or the Texas State Park? I know nothing about either of those launches, I've always gone up to the Blanchard public boat ramp (though the docks are starting to get pretty rough at that launch).

- Michael

If you just go to the north and east end of pine island, you will find PLENTY of people to hang out with.

I hear, but cannot confirm, that the state park launches are nice. I haven't been to them in many years.

You aren't very far from Lake Houston. I am always out there, and several sea-dooers. But i understand, you are MUCH closer to livingston.

Hello

Been a while since I have been on the forum. I have been out only four times this year, two test runs and 2 runs down to Pine Island. There was a lot of people doo'n around the island too. Im going to try to get out in couple of weeks and I will give you guys a shout. I don't know of any groups that meet up on Livingston but there is plenty of people on the weekends around the island. I will check with CH marine to see if any groups are around....maybe we should make one..

Mike

If you just go to the north and east end of pine island, you will find PLENTY of people to hang out with.

Been there every change I get... was there last summer taking video with a little HD camera which I then posted on Youtube in fact. It's *gorgeous* on that side of the island, though a bit of a drive from the Blanchard rd boat ramps where I always launch from. But if the weather is good and the lake not too rough I almost always drive down to the island and hangout for a few hours.

Wonder if anybody ever camps overnight at the island?

- Michael

PM me the evening before if you can Mike, I'll shoot you my cell number... I'm planning to go up there again this coming Saturday around mid-day, the forecast looks promising so far and I want to get some time in on the lake early this summer just in case we get into that dreaded drought crap again! Last summer I got started way too late and only got to go boating 5 times before the launches got landlocked, I was ticked! I didn't even pull my big jetboat out from under the carport last summer, I only took the RXT out (ok in my defense it was the "new toy" to me and I really wanted to ride it some 1st then the drought got severe....). :-(

- Michael

I was wondering about the drought myself. The soil around here is turning to dust now. I was brush hog'n yesterday and it turned into a dust storm. I have to work on Sat so I will not be able meet up. Another place people jet ski is around Penwaugh in that big cove which is on the otherside (north) of Indian Hills, , from where you launch off of Blanchard . I see a lot over there when the wind picks up, its deep (30ft) and out of the southern winds. I bet that with the warmer temps that Pine Island is rocking now with skiers and geezers trolling for stripers.

Mike

I bet your dust has turned to mud this morning Mike! LOL! Good to wake up to the sounds of rain drops falling again. Radar image looks wicked... maybe we get a good gully-washer today. :-D

My family had a waterfront house on Indian Hills Estates back in the 90's.... I spent almost every weekend up there with the jetboat during the summer, I miss it greatly. We used to ride over to Dove Island and play frisbee, I bet there's nothing left of it now though it was washing away pretty rapidly back then even. I'm very knowledgeable of that part of the lake, we waterskied and kneeboarded and pulled tubes in that area all the time.

- Michael

Lucky! Rain split and went around us. That is 3 weeks with no rain. Looks like last year's weather around here...

Actually it rained moderately for about 5 minutes here in Plum Grove this morning... I was elated, then like "WTF!" not 5 minutes later. It's already dusty in my driveway again this evening Scoop. I'm going on 5 weeks without substantial rainfall, hasn't even made a puddle and my pond has dropped almost 3 feet low already. Grrrrr!

- Michael

The weatherman on ABC13 says we're going to see some tropical moisture coming over Texas 1st thing next week... here's hoping!!!!

- Michael

Where is the lake Conroe meetup group online? We were at lake Travis for memorial weekend, which was pretty good, still down 37 feet though. Out of town for work again till next weekend though, I'll try to get out to lake Houston on the 9th if I can to make sure everything is a-ok after the flooding last time out. Happy to meet up with anyone that'll be out there, just pm me.

Got quiet on this thread again darn'it!

I went out for a few hours Saturday crusing around the Indian Hills area for a few hours... it was super nice! Today though, just too darned HOT outside I decided I preferred a/c to lake water today. LOL!

Lake Livingston is at the perfect water level still, has probably gone up a few inches since Memorial Day in fact.

Hope ya'll had a great weekend.

- Michael

We hit lake houston from 10 til 1. It got REALLY hot today, and we high-tailed it back home to A/C, boxed wine, and a good book.

We hit the couch and all three of us just fell right to sleep for about 2 hours!

I can believe that! It's gonna be a miserable week... I was actually hoping Debby would come to Texas! I felt so let down this morning when I saw the weather report. Dang-it! :-(

- Michael

We were SO looking forward to wind and rain for a couple days. Instead, I had to water my yard last night. Almost dead. Again...

This week's forecast...103 today, then 102, 99, 96, 96 UGH!!!! Not a drop of rain in sight!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was up there sat.(mowing) and the lake had a ton of jetskis out there. I watched one ski scooting down the kickapoo channel. I don't know how fast he was going but that was the fastest ski I have seen yet. It would give one of these super powered bass boats a run for their money.

How fast does yours go? My xp did 56 gps. With power to spare, if I have ever wanted to swap out the impeller. And would get there in about 2-3 seconds if I could keep it in the water. Most of the time it would hop out of the water two times on the way.

I wanted more bite and low end so I could recover from turns faster and hit waves off the beach so I kept whatever impeller was in there.

400 lbs, 110 hp. Lot of power for little weight.

I got up to 68mph on my RXT last Fall before lake level landlocked the last boatramp... it was a RUSH! I still had throttle to go, I wasn't WOT when the speedo read a stable 68mph.

I've been up to 84mph with my jetboat, it's like flying over the water near about don't even feel it when crossing other boat wakes. And that still wasn't WOT on it either... I have no idea what it'd top out at (550hp dyno rated engine at 5800rpm's).

Most of the time I just like to cruise in the mid-range though and do donuts. :)

- Michael

Michael, Any pics of that jetboat and the engine? My folks had a Kona hull (Waikiki chrome badge on side?) with 455 olds, Jacuzzi jet back in 75 or 76 until around 1982. It wasn't nearly as fast as yours. Maybe 60 tops.

This is the only remaining picture we have of it. Lost most of our pictures during Hurricane Alicia in 83.

goldendaze.jpg

Sidewinder.jpgSidewinder2.jpgI've seen some Kona's before. I've only seen pics of 2 other Sidewinder of Wisconsin jetboats however (1 in a Hot Boat Magazine issue Reader Rides, and another that was for sale on Ebay last summer). These appear to be pretty rare hulls. Mine has a 1978 BBC 4-bolt main 454 bored out to 468, roller-rockers, Edlebrock twin tunnel ram topped with twin Holly 660 carbs, an MSD ignition system Holly Blue electric fuel pump Berkley JB pump with a hydraulic Place Diverter (steering column swtich controlled). Upholstery is done in "Dolphin Skin" marine vinyl (no it's NOT made of real Dolphin skins, it's supposed to be as velvety soft as dolphins though hence the name... I've gotten in trouble for not explaining that before! LOL!). Basset over-transon pipes with Basset performance mufflers.

One day I'd love to have it re-gelcoated in black with the existing silver stripe to more closely match my SeaDoo RXT's color scheme... while the Sidewinder's finish is still very glossy, it does have scratches and some stress cracks in the corners from the finish getting brittle with age. It shows very well though still, far too often I get other guys coming over to see it at the lake or filling up at the gas station... I seriously could use some single gals coming over instead though I swear. :-(

This boat is just great to kneeboard behind, using a 100 foot long rope you can go wayyyy out outside of the wake then cut back in and pick up big speed jumping over the wake... and the boat keeps a very exact constant speed no matter what I do on the kneeboard which is really great! I love it!

- Michael

Cool! Thanks for the pic and description!

We just slalomed behind ours. My parents were both pretty good back in the day. A bit of show-offs, actually. They would do stupid stuff like put the handle(s) between their legs while they rest their arms. Mom would even put double handles behind her head and cross them, and ski by her head while she rested her arms a few seconds.

Looks like the wind will be down for the next couple of days. I bet there will be a ton of boaters on the lake this week. They are having fireworks out by the 190 bridge on the kickapoo side again this year. there is a ramp right there at the bridge.

Back