Jordan Lake NC ride 7/26

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I'm going to try and get out early, but right now it's looking like I'll get to the lake about 6. I'll def do what I can to be there earlier. Gonna put the ski on the trailer tonight and all that mess.

Woot! Got the one thing I needed to do tomorrow is taken care of. So going to try and get out as early as possible. Ski is hooked up and ready to go.

so it turned out that the website from which I ordered those Rave caps malfunctioned and allowed me to purchase something that's been out of stock for a long time. So I'm running on "repaired" raves today. We'll see how that goes :/ I plan to be out there around 4:30-5

Just in case you haven't already done so recently, check the cooling drain line on your ski. The one that goes from the T fitting on the back of the cylinders to the exhaust outlet. Mine looked fine, and I never thought to actually check it for blockage, but it was totally plugged with sand. The only way to really check it is to pull it off the exhaust outlet and try to blow through it. I believe this may have been contributing to my high engine temps, melting raves, and possibly even my most recent crank failure. Damn shame, that crank had only 30 or so hours on it. I hope you guys can avert some disaster from my mistake.

Hi guys. Andrew, good info on the checking the line....sucks that you lost a crank.
I am back working on the XP rebuild and was wondering if anyone has experience with a local machine shop. I am wanting to have my cylinders bored. Last year I had Fullbore do the cylinders on the 787 but running my costs I can pickup pistons for about $110-$120. I have extra gaskets and bearings. There's a machine shop on Hillsborough St - CARQUEST that I have used in the past for car engine repairs but not sure he can do small cylinders.
Fullbore wants $295 for the top-end which includes pistons, gaskets, etc.
Thanks.
Rob K

well, there's a machine shop not far away in Raleigh, near capital blvd. called Thoff or something. They do a lot of german car work, and do small cylinders. I believe it's $50/cylinder. I think they'll match it to your cylinders, so just drop them off with it and tell them the spec (Should come with new pistons). What's wrong with the 720? $295 isn't bad if it includes shipping. $100 for boring, $140 for pistons, then gaskets and shipping make up the rest... not a bad price IMO. Just hurts more b/c you're paying it all in one chunk. I bet they give you new bearings too, those cost like $15 each I think, so there you have it. Man it adds up fast!

Yea, the XP def. lost a crank. So pissed, it's a new crank too. Expected to have years out of it. Oh well, can't worry about that till after the boat is upgraded. Turns out someone actually beat me to it. There's already a 96 challenger out there with a 4tec, somewhere in canada I believe. It's not quite like I'm planning to do it. I think they only have a 16gal tank, which with that engine won't last you a day. Still impressive work. I wish I could talk to the builder...

Yeah I'll need to figure out that stuff too if I plan to rebuild my Yammi motor. Crank bearings feel all kinds of crunchy. Comp is still good. Wonder if I could just have the crank rebuilt and toss that back in with new gaskets?

My guess is over the years of it not being ran the bearings got rusty. Fortunately hasn't really been ran much since I got ahold of it to completely eat itself and take things with it.

well, there's a machine shop not far away in Raleigh, near capital blvd. called Thoff or something. They do a lot of german car work, and do small cylinders. I believe it's $50/cylinder. I think they'll match it to your cylinders, so just drop them off with it and tell them the spec (Should come with new pistons). What's wrong with the 720? $295 isn't bad if it includes shipping. $100 for boring, $140 for pistons, then gaskets and shipping make up the rest... not a bad price IMO. Just hurts more b/c you're paying it all in one chunk. I bet they give you new bearings too, those cost like $15 each I think, so there you have it. Man it adds up fast!

Yea, the XP def. lost a crank. So pissed, it's a new crank too. Expected to have years out of it. Oh well, can't worry about that till after the boat is upgraded. Turns out someone actually beat me to it. There's already a 96 challenger out there with a 4tec, somewhere in canada I believe. It's not quite like I'm planning to do it. I think they only have a 16gal tank, which with that engine won't last you a day. Still impressive work. I wish I could talk to the builder...

Since I bought the ski with the top end off I was not able to perform a compression test though the pistons and rings look new. It did have the original crank that had bad inner seals and several of the bearings were noisy so I replaced with a new crank. The PO had little history on the ski and could not offer any info.
I thought I would just go ahead and do the top-end since I have time but to limit the expense. I have new gaskets and bearings. I may reach out to the local shop or call FullBore during the winter to see if they'll work on the price since I won't need bearings and gaskets.

Well, if it looks new, I'd go ahead and try it. The only thing you could damage would be the base gasket, and those are cheap. Once you have the block, it's not much work to put the top end on. Could get lucky ;) If the pistons are new and it has cage bearings for the wrist pins, chances are it's fairly new. The ones that ruined my first 787 were originals. They didn't even have the cage. There's a shop in N. Raleigh that may have some in stock too. It's called Watercraft Concepts. They do a bunch of mobile repair work, but I've bought parts from them in a pinch. They usually have a good stock of stuff.

Hi guys. Anyone riding this weekend? I am heading out later today and Monday as well. North end of Jordan.

Rob K

Hi Andrew. Never made it out...got wrapped up with a house project. I am going tomorrow for certain and again on Monday. Weather too nice!

I'm not going near any lake this weekend. Hah! Too busy for me. I'll be out soon though.

I am invited out to the pool tomorrow, some friends just moved to a new place and are inviting us out. I usually like to ride in 85f or higher. The wifeespecially. We're doing a family boat day Monday. Come by and get some shish kabobs. We'll probably be at Seaforth or Ebenezer

Morning guys. Not sure if you seen this post of mine but I have a 97 SPX that I am selling. It's clean, compression on each hole 150 and the usual service has been done. I bought it needing the trailer for my XP but decided it's not the trailer I want. If you know anyone looking for a decent ski let me know. I'm asking $1,550 or BO.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?77610-Anyone-Wanting-a-97-SPX

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek: Selling such a beauty? Here's a hint: don't ride it. You will not want to sell afterwards. I actually snapped a rod last season in my SPX, and am very anxious to get her back on the water. Got an OEM set of RAVES coming too, hoping that will solve my melting rave pistons problem I seemed to have the past few years.

:eek: Selling such a beauty? Here's a hint: don't ride it. You will not want to sell afterwards. I actually snapped a rod last season in my SPX, and am very anxious to get her back on the water. Got an OEM set of RAVES coming too, hoping that will solve my melting rave pistons problem I seemed to have the past few years.

Get that thing fixed, man! I just ordered a RAVE rebuild kit for mine. Not 100% certain it needs it, but not sure when it was last done....so why not.

That's what I am afraid of. It is clean and look's all original. I wish I had the room at the house.

Hey guys. Anybody interested in getting a group ride together at my lake house at Lake Gaston one Saturday this summer? Plenty of dock space and we can grill out.

His place is AMAZING!!!! If I could I'd be there every weekend. LOL!

Also I'll be out at Jordan, our normal ramp area, this Sat. Not sure the time yet. Bringing out the wife and other ski. In laws are gonna come and watch the baby on the beach.

I'll hopefully get my cylinders back this week so I can throw my SPX back together. Can't wait to be back behind those handlebars!

Back