Hello, Back in the PWC World

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I’m not sure which way the engine rotates when it’s running but I always rotate them clockwise from the back, it doesn’t matter though , you can rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise by hand, your just checking to see if anything is seized up

Thanks
First bit of good news !!
Engine turns over by hand
👍, now with the spark plug boots grounded to the orange grounding pins and the spark plugs out see if it will crank over by pressing the start button. Take notice if anything blows out the spark plug holes while cranking it over

Well/ good news bad news:
Good news is engine turns over & has 120psi compression. Put brand new battery in it . New plugs. All fuses good. Info gauge works . 2 beeps when put key in. Very bad fuel was pumped out and fresh non-ethanol put in.
Old oil pumped out new put in.
Now the bad news :
Won’t run. I put a couple of shots of starting fluid on cylinders and it does run for a couple of seconds . So pretty sure I have a fuel problem. I believe fuel pump is toast . BTW, I think that thing
In the second pic is the fuel filter from inside the pump . So I have a fuel delivery problem . Should the fuel pump prime when putting key in? How do I test the fuel pump? There was some sediment when I removed the fuel so again , I think the fuel pump is toast

Well/ good news bad news:
Good news is engine turns over & has 120psi compression. Put brand new battery in it . New plugs. All fuses good. Info gauge works . 2 beeps when put key in. Very bad fuel was pumped out and fresh non-ethanol put in.
Old oil pumped out new put in.
Now the bad news :
Won’t run. I put a couple of shots of starting fluid on cylinders and it does run for a couple of seconds . So pretty sure I have a fuel problem. I believe fuel pump is toast . BTW, I think that thing
In the second pic is the fuel filter from inside the pump . So I have a fuel delivery problem . Should the fuel pump prime when putting key in? How do I test the fuel pump? There was some sediment when I removed the fuel so again , I think the fuel pump is toast
120 pounds of compression is not good, it’s right at the lowest reading where it could possibly run. You may be able to get it to run out of the water with that compression but unlikely that it will run under load when it’s in the water with that compression. 150 pounds is near perfect and 120 is pretty much worn out, where the 2 cylinders both 120 pounds? Don’t use starting fluid with these 2 strokes, use gas oil mix. Did you have a real good strong battery when doin the compression test? If you didn’t, then It’s possible that the compression may be a little higher than that. Top end rebuild is not all that difficult and would cost about 250.00 In parts and maybe another 200.00 for boring and honing if required, you would need to measure your bores and check specs for taper, out of round, piston to cylinder wall clearance to know if boring is required. As for the fuel pump, I’m not super familiar with them, I believe they may be in the tank but I would have to check the manual. You can find free manual for your machine at Seadoomanuals.net aftter the top end rebuild I would go ttrough the fuel system, find and change the filter and have the injectors sent out to be cleaned and tested. I think it cost me roughly 40.00 per injector last time I had it done. That’s great news though about the 2 beeps, gauges working and it cranking over. I would say your electronics are working which for me is a big bonus, I hate electrical and prefer fixing fuel and compression issues.

Yes, Brand new AGM battery! Bought a basic harbor freight compression tester and that was my first time ever doing one so take that at face value. I just used the starting fluid once to see if I was getting spark. Should I not hear the fuel pump prime or try to run? It does nothing. Next step I think is I’m gonna pull the pump out and have a look. With the fuel that came out of that thing and how long it has sat, I truly think that’s the bulk of the problem . Once I get it running we will see how she does and make a decision on a rebuild. I’ll make sure I’m getting power at the pump as well. What inexpensive fuel pump do you recommend. If it lasts a couple of seasons I’m good with it 👍

Last edited:
Both cylinders were the same . 120psi. You know more than me, but wouldn’t you think there would be a difference between the two if that was the problem? It fired right up and sounded good

Both cylinders were the same . 120psi. You know more than me, but wouldn’t you think there would be a difference between the two if that was the problem? It fired right up and sounded good
120 is definitely low, but yes it’s a good sign that they were both 120 psi. Harbour Freight testers are know to give false low readings so I’m hopeful that, that is the case here. I have not worked on RFI’s, only fuel injected snowmobiles so I will help as much as I can. Yes, I believe you should hear the the fuel pump when putting the dess key on, I can hear it in my RFI and my snowmobiles. I would research and find any fuel filters and replace them, there could be one in the tank? Check the fiche on seadoowarehouse.com and download the free manual at Seadoomanuals.net I would find that fuel pump and trouble shoot it first, if you find it’s not working which it sounds like it’s not get the PN from the fiche and put the part number in there and at OSD marine. If it’s expensive you can probably get a good used one from Westside powersports, well known business with excellent reputation. There is most likely some filter baskets on the injectors but again check the fiche, clean those baskets at a minimum, if you feel like spending a little money, probably a good idea to send them out to be tested and cleaned. If you are going to send them out, then don’t worry about changing the filter baskets because they will do that.

Thanks for the great info. Just watched a couple of videos on compression tests and they are getting 120 but ya , a little low. But not worried about that right now. Next step is to make sure getting power at the pump then pull it. This ski was sitting with ethanol fuel for close to 2 years so that why I’m thinking it’s the pump. I’m searching for a good used one but I’ll also see what kind of shape this is in. Maybe I can rebuild it with one of those kits

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. Just watched a couple of videos on compression tests and they are getting 120 but ya , a little low. But not worried about that right now. Next step is to make sure getting power at the pump then pull it. This ski was sitting with ethanol fuel for close to 2 years so that why I’m thinking it’s the pump. I’m searching for a good used one but I’ll also see what kind of shape this is in. Maybe I can rebuild it with one of those kits
Just had a quick look part number 12 in the fuel system fiche is the fuel pump and part number 55 is the fuel filter, both in the tank. That fuel pump is over 600.00😵. Hopefully with a little luck it’s a bad connection or you can find a good used one for a decent price.

Yea, I’m gonna pull the pump tomorrow and see what I have. See a couple of used ones around $200. I see model numbers on the fixh that start like 5608 etc. how do I tell what I have ?

Yea, I’m gonna pull the pump tomorrow and see what I have. See a couple of used ones around $200. I see model numbers on the fixh that start like 5608 etc. how do I tell what I have ?
370BE59F-4695-49BB-8FD9-03A64949FA03.jpeg
You can look around for a sticker similar to this one for your model number but I wouldn’t worry to much about it, they all seem to have like 3 or 4 different model numbers for the same machine. As long as you are looking at parts for 2000 GTX RFI, you will be fine. If you find a used one off of a different year or model just cross reference and check the part number for that year

thank you, will do.
You all have been a great help!
I’ve been watched some videos on rebuilding a fuel pump. I think I can handle that. Guess when I get this pump out and see how bad it is I’ll make that decision. I see a used one on eBay for $200. A rebuild kit is $129. Just want to get it running . Probably get this pump in and will open more Pandora’s box. Hahaha

Somebody has been in this pump before . Found this in one of the compartments. I believe this is one of the filters that goes on the fuel pump

Attachments

• IMG_1795.png
    IMG_1795.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
thank you, will do.
You all have been a great help!
I’ve been watched some videos on rebuilding a fuel pump. I think I can handle that. Guess when I get this pump out and see how bad it is I’ll make that decision. I see a used one on eBay for $200. A rebuild kit is $129. Just want to get it running . Probably get this pump in and will open more Pandora’s box. Hahaha
Yeah, but if you stick to it and get it running you’ll have a nice ski, they’re great on gas and oil and you got in on it at the right price

At least it did not cost anything from the jump ! So I’m ahead off the game there . Let’s hope I’m don’t have to go too much further down this rabbit hole. Busy the rest of this week so hope to get the pump out today and get what I need ordered

Back