DESS post and key issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mzootie

Hi all, my 2011 215 GTX starts and runs fine. Issues are there are no beeps at start and I have to wiggle the key to start. All 3 keys have same issue so ruling key out. I thought it would be easy to replace the beeper if needed but low and behold seadoo made this a part it the circuit board. Is there a chance that replacing the post will solve both issues? Would I have to replace the instrument cluster to restore the beeping? For this year They are really hard to find an inexpensive one and I saw used one for $600 on eBay. Ouch. If I replace just the post I don't think it needs reprogramming but the MFD would. Seadoo makes everything difficult ugh. Thanks in advance

How are you getting the ski to start without hearing the two beeps? Wiggling the key and depressing start button simultaneously? That process could just be the post. If you're giving the ECM a chance to sound the two beeps before pressing the start button I would then say its two separate problems. People have had success with the China clusters on EBay but they do need programming. Still $300 to fix a $.10 part is harsh and it would not be OEM. The beeper is just an extra aural alert and the key wiggling is pretty common. Might leave well enuf alone on this one or just change the post.

Hello thanks for the response. The ski starts w/o the any beeps and by wiggling the key and depressing the start button simultaneously. So yes I was thinking its the post for the wiggle and the beeper in the MFD, 2 issues. Unfortunately I believe, for this year, the beeper is integrated in the circuit board. I guess the PO knew that too and felt it wasn't worth it. I will likely just replace the post. My research on a replacement MFD had the non OEM's for $300 but not for a 2011 GTX. I only was able to find a used one for around $600, yikes. Any suggestions on where else I can look is appreciated as there is also condensation in the gauge cluster and difficult to read too just a PITA. I would consider replacement for $300 if I could find one. Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. I have 3 keys and none of them beep so pretty sure its the post. Appreciate all your insight. Found a post on Ebay for $43 and will replace it.

Correct, no programming for the post. Did you use the correct post? There are 3 wire and 4 wire versions.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 08.40.15.pngSo the 2011 Shop Manual shows it as a three wire, the correct OEM part #278002325 comes in both 3 and 4 wire versions on eBay. Thats a little confusing. Your ski should power up pressing the start button without the key on the post. Earlier models would power up with just the key on the post. Convoluted to say the least.

Last edited:
97 Seadoo gsi owned 3 years and burnt myself out with the terrible dess key issues.

This evening I finally took time to figure out how to wire in my dess key permanently and also wired in a generic marine kill switch and lanyard (needs to be normally open). Everything works perfectly gauges/start/stop/beeps/etc.
$20 for the safety kill switch and lanyard. No other purchases necessary.

If interested I'll send out my doodle diagram or photos.

Here's what I did. Then, just use a N.O. kill and put between number 1 and solid black wire. When the lanyard is pulled, it will open the circuit by removing that ground signal. Cheers.

Attachments

• sketch-1711584072627.png
    sketch-1711584072627.png
    980.2 KB · Views: 6
Back