Buying used?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
private sell and he doesn't want to do a ride test bc he doesn't want the responsibility of injury or property damage.... but is willing to connect a water hose to it and let me have a mechanic look it over..... it's super clean 2013 rtx with 41 hours on it.... wants 8k.....so i guess my question would be.... should that raise an alarm bc he doesn't want to do a ride test?

Fyi.. it was kept in a garage that has climate control

Attachments

• received_1523998477778208.jpeg
    received_1523998477778208.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 31
  • received_320274315611754.jpeg
    received_320274315611754.jpeg
    846 KB · Views: 32
  • received_2628531094098426.jpeg
    received_2628531094098426.jpeg
    860 KB · Views: 39
  • received_555622865380678.jpeg
    received_555622865380678.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 32
  • received_258925981900637.jpeg
    received_258925981900637.jpeg
    935.9 KB · Views: 32
  • received_1029493820785744.jpeg
    received_1029493820785744.jpeg
    758.6 KB · Views: 30
  • received_1126934587658511.jpeg
    received_1126934587658511.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 30
  • received_2768820140016556.jpeg
    received_2768820140016556.jpeg
    855.6 KB · Views: 33
  • received_241876367004106.jpeg
    received_241876367004106.jpeg
    783.7 KB · Views: 30
Not allowing a test ride is somewhat common. It can be a red flag, but could also just be as you described; just doesn't want to chance a newb crashing his ski.

I would ask to at least let him take you for a ride. Sit on the back and have him put it through its paces. Want to ensure it starts right up, idles and accelerates smooth, attains top speed, doesn't take on any water, lose coolant, etc.

Some problems don't occur while running on the hose...need to put it in the water to really test.

If he refuses, it's still worth looking at, but have someone who knows how to inspect a ski do it. Compression test at a minimum. I mean it's been sitting unridden most of its' life. That's actually not good. Lack of use can cause engine damage if the ski is not properly maintained/winterized (if needed).

BTW, that price is just OK; nothing that would make me run to the bank right away.

Not allowing a test ride is somewhat common. It can be a red flag, but could also just be as you described; just doesn't want to chance a newb crashing his ski.

I would ask to at least let him take you for a ride. Sit on the back and have him put it through its paces. Want to ensure it starts right up, idles and accelerates smooth, attains top speed, doesn't take on any water, lose coolant, etc.

Some problems don't occur while running on the hose...need to put it in the water to really test.

If he refuses, it's still worth looking at, but have someone who knows how to inspect a ski do it. Compression test at a minimum. I mean it's been sitting unridden most of its' life. That's actually not good. Lack of use can cause engine damage if the ski is not properly maintained/winterized (if needed).

BTW, that price is just OK; nothing that would make me run to the bank right away.
Yeah thanks for the info.....i just went and looked at another ski not far from my house....2015 rxt 50 hours.....i get there and immediately notice he tried to cover up some knicks and dings (black marker maybe) on the side of the hull but it was super obviousin the sun.... right around where the water line would be..... nothing bigger then a nickel size but the fact he never told me makes me think something isn't right but he has a super nice trailer

Attachments

• 20200416_094714.jpg
    20200416_094714.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200416_094714.jpg
    20200416_094714.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200416_094714.jpg
    20200416_094714.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 23
"he tried to cover up some knicks and dings (black marker maybe) on the side of the hull "

Dock rash will happen to every ski. As long as it's not too deep (fiberglass exposed), it's not that big of a deal. I doubt you'll find any used ski without any dock damage.

"he tried to cover up some knicks and dings (black marker maybe) on the side of the hull "

Dock rash will happen to every ski. As long as it's not too deep (fiberglass exposed), it's not that big of a deal. I doubt you'll find any used ski without any dock damage.

Now the guy is saying the title is still in the first owners name.... he bought it end of last summer but says he can get a bill of sale from the first owner

Should prolly pass on the deal huh.....few red flags already and that just did it.... that's illegal anyway right?

Do not buy without the title. Anyone can make up a bullshit bill of sale.
He said he has the title but not in his name.....he can have the previous do a bill of sale ... but it all makes no sense..... he is worried about property damage and personal injury but he buys a ski without bill of sale or transferring the title....idk... seems weird and plus he is on fb marketplace and has nothing on his fb but a pics he put on there from 2018... nothing else at all

I guess it's possible, but lots of red flags. At a minimum, check the VIN on the title against the VIN on the ski.
You could ask him to transfer the title to his name to make it more kosher. Otherwise, there will be other skis to buy. Don't let your yearning to ride let you get ripped off.

I recently bought a ski but didn't need the trailer. Knew I was going to sell it right away, but I paid to have it legal in my name so there wouldn't be these types of issues to interfere with the sale.

I guess it's possible, but lots of red flags. At a minimum, check the VIN on the title against the VIN on the ski.
You could ask him to transfer the title to his name to make it more kosher. Otherwise, there will be other skis to buy. Don't let your yearning to ride let you get ripped off.

I recently bought a ski but didn't need the trailer. Knew I was going to sell it right away, but I paid to have it legal in my name so there wouldn't be these types of issues to interfere with the sale.
The yearning to ride isn't a factor.... still cold and lakes r closed here

my advice- from someone who's bought dozens of skiis and boats over the last 3 decades- there's nothing unusual about touching up the hull- I do it often and it tells me maybe this guy is very particular and tedious about keeping his boat / ski in good order- every single water toy will have scratches and dings in the gelcoat. However, EVERY SINGE TIME I've purchased a boat without water testing it, I regretted it. too many stories to tell. NH is a non-title state so, it's common not to have a title. But- I would not buy a boat from someone in a title state without the title in the CURRENT OWNERS NAME! I would not buy a boat in a non-title state without at least an old reg in the CURRENT OWNERS NAME! I will not buy a boat I can't physically water test. a hose test is NOT a water test. I've been screwed over so many times I've lost count. as recent as last year- bought a seadoo sportster, owner said it was mint. we met in a target parking lot for the transaction and the boat looked, well, mint.... I got home, put in the water and tried her out- wouldn't even plane out and water would fill the engine bay in 30 minutes. very very long story short; the asshole ran into a pile of rocks and used bondo to hide the 24" split down the hull. nearly $1k in pump parts, starter motor, injectors, cables and filters. I spent 2 weeks grinding down the hull and repairing with fiberglass and gelcoat. all fixed up but I still didn't trust it with my family, I sold it with 100% repair disclosure. that's just 1 of a dozen times I got screwed over. and it was by a fellow Marine, no less. :( would you spend $8k on a car that you couldn't test drive and didn't have the proper paperwork? HELL NO! always do a water test. ESPECIALLLY with seadoo's that have the IBR & VTS or iS systems! those features are great when they work, but they are super buggy and there's no way to tell without a legit water test. always get the correct paper work. no exceptions. if he's an honest seller, he'll accommodate the reasonable requests.

Last edited:
Many sellers are wary of test rides because they have to wipe down and clean the boat again if its not purchased. A lot of looky-lous can waste a lot of the seller's time. Finally, they are worried its just an excuse to renegotiate an even lower price.

So to obtain a test cruise, you need to convince the buyer you are serious. Negotiate the final price. Show you have the money ready. Agree with them in advance as to what you are looking for in terms of problems that would kill the sale. Then make it the last condition of closing.

The most important advice to buying used is to set your expectations accordingly. Last summer I bought a used Air Nautique. Got a great deal on it because it had been used in salt water. And yes, there were indeed some corrosion that needed to be addressed. At the end of the summer while winterizing it, the battery started showing weakness and needed to be replaced this spring. I was happy to replace the battery and just smiled to myself thinking about the thousands of dollars I saved compared to a new boat.

Some people see dock rash. Learn to see those marks as money saved in your pocket.

Some people see dock rash. Learn to see those marks as money saved in your pocket.

funny- I just had a guy come look at my gtx to buy it- it's in amazing condition- really well taken care of with a completely rebuilt pump, sc and new gel battery. he was trying real hard to get me to move on my price. we pulled it out of the water after the test drive and the hull had dried off- he got all bent over some minor dock rash- my response was "all boats have some dock rash- no big deal, a little wax and it'll buff out"- it wasn't even scratched in to the gel coat. he replied none of his have dock rash- yeah well, you don't live on waterfront property... my ski stays on the dock in the summer season, and has rubber bumpers between it and the ski- but the constant rubbing of the bumper is slightly noticeable... there were a few very minor scuff marks underneath also from the previous owner- he tried to low ball me after making the deal- I simply told him I'd give him a hand unhooking the trailer in my driveway and he can be on his way- I didn't care if it sold or not! and good luck finding a 12 year old seadoo with no dock rash. he digressed and paid me. .... dock rash :rolleyes: lol

Last edited:
Just sold my '87 Kawasaki 650sx. It had wear and tear commensurate with age (imagine the original deck padding and paint after 30+ years. Also, lots of stickers). But it starts and runs. Who wouldn't want a good deal on an old Jet Ski that still runs? Kid buying it tried to talk me down because he was going to have to re-turf it and he was sure he was going to have to re-paint it because of the stickers.

I just smiled and called his bluff "you want to ride it this weekend, or not?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back