"best" aftermarket seat covers?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bajaman123

Premium Member
Premium Member
I've searched the subject on the forum, but can't find a definitive answer to which company has the best quality material, along with best craftsmanship, ease of installation, etc. Even going to the various vendors websites offers nothing in real detail, i.e. the 'weight' of the vinyl. Plus, it seems no one really is standing behind their product as the warranty is ridiculously short period.

I'd welcome opinions based on actual use of the products.

Thanks!

If money is not a concern Jettrim, however Hydro-Turf and Black Tip are both as good or better than OEM.

Lou

seat cracks RX.JPGThanks, guys.
I prefer to go with what is 'best' and am willing to spend the money necessary. Have a look at this seat, please. The cracks and 'voids' in the foam are going to have to be fixed somehow prior to a new cover being put on. Based on what I've read in the Forum, I think my best bet is to purchase a cover and then take it and the seat to a qualified upholstery shop for repair? I want it to be "like new" as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Yep, those have to be repaired prior to putting on the new cover. Covering them with duct tape will show through. Depending on what you are looking for, you may just go straight to the upholstery shop and have them look at it. They may do the entire job including making the cover. A shop that specializes in boats would be even better.

You will never see that damage underneath a Jetrim cover. Their vinyl has a foam backing.

Black tip has decided to copy(as usual) and now offers a "Elite" version with a foam backing. Jettrim is not that expensive for the difference. Maybe $100 more but now you'll have a place everybody dreams to sit.

If you really want to spend some money you can send them the seat and they will make a custom foam shape that you dream up, then they will make a custom cover for it.

Okay...maybe it is just a slow day for me but I see no way to purchase Jettrim products for older Seadoos...? They seem to only offer products for 2006 and higher model years...

As a minor hijack. If you are recovering one is it best to leave the old cover on or take it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again, everyone.

I've e-mailed several local upholstery shops and asked them if they can make the seat "like new", using their own materials or a cover from Jettrim, Blacktip, etc.
It will be interesting to see what they say.

This is not a difficult job, especially with a preformed seat cover. A heat gun, or hair dryer, electric or air powered stapler and be sure to use stainless or monel staples. If I can do it anybody can. You can easily buy the tools with the money you will save doing it yourself. Harbor Freight is your friend.

Lou

I have Monel staples from when I redid some upholstery on my Baja, using an electric staple gun.
Just for grins today I tried to put a staple into the plastic of the seat, as if I was going to install a cover.
No luck...the staples just kept bending into strange shapes, and barely, if at all, penetrated the plastic.
One would think with tool like this, it would have worked but it didn't. This is an ARROW electric staple gun I have.

What stapler have others used successfully?

My staple gun has a dial on it and the further you turn it in the harder it shoots. It's a normal electric model so look for that on yours.

I have an air stapler from HF.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0566.JPG
    100_0566.JPG
    896.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's because they are and always have been the leading vinyl artists in the industry. It's all stitched right here in America also.

I can only agree with the above posts...

Jettrim is a great product, hard to not rank them #1 overall.

Mline has a great reputation as well, I'd put them right up there but I haven't actually used them, I have used jettrim and I loved my seat.

Blacktip I would consider a quality replacement for those taking the budget into consideration.

For my personal ski's I have gone the custom route more than I have used those vendors but if I didn't have access to two quality custom guys within a reasonable driving distance, I'd go jet trim.

I've got a quote from two local shops, one for $225 and one for $250, they both said they are experts in restoration and have "done many 'jetskis' over the years. The price includes new foam. I am going to ask them about custom work.

Thanks again for all the responses.

From the pictures you posted I can't tell if the foam actually needs replacing. To me it just looks as if the vinyl is split.

Your chances of getting a "Jettrim" job from a local yocal is one in a million. Do you want yours to look like a golf cart bench seat(the second time around)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back