Baffle Pickup Tube Cutout

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

consentido1

I just bought a 1998 SeaDoo Challenger 1800. This is my first boat and it doesn't run. The guy swears it ran 2 yrs ago just fine. I have been going through it trying to get the engines going. Has 2x787 rotax engines. I pulled the baffle pickup tube to check it out and noticed it has 2 cutouts notched out, one on each side. What would be the purpose for that?

fixing the fuel sending unit only repaired the digital reading of the fuel level on the gauge. It will not impact the machine running. If the boat has been sitting for two years you will need to go over everything. Replace fuel, rebuild carbs, check for spark is just the beginning. when you say it does not run i am assuming it will crank but just will not fire.

Yes that is correct, I'm getting spark but won't fire. Has some water coming from combustion chamber too, one has some sludge coming out not sure if that is affecting the firing. Cranked with plugs out to empty as much as possible. Already removed and cleaned carbs. Not sure what else to check, put new fuel, lines, and filters. Boat shop is booked for couple months so decided to tackle it myself at least the minor stuff.

You may be aware, but these two stroke engines are supplied with the same oil (from the reservoir) to the lower crank case. If the crank seals are bad oil will get into the combustion chamber and mess with it. get out as much as you can....try spraying a little quick start into the carb to see if it will fire. did you check compression? perfect should be 150/150....hopefully they are not less than 135/135....which means they are on their way out, especially if you have bad crank seals. You can extend the life of the crank seals by adding a valve before the intake and turn it off after you use the boat so the crank case does not fill with oil then make sure you turn it back on when you go out.

Ok so I don't get much time to mess with my new found project. However, today I found that I have 160/160 on one engine and 140/60 on other. The good engine still won't fire with spark and fresh fuel. I sometimes have 2 beeps other times no, but still turns over. Either way doesn't start. Also curious if I have to run water when cranking or just after it starts.

No, you do not need to run water. Never run water without the engine running.
Really there is no reason to run water unless flushing the cooling system. Even with the water the driveshaft seal will overheat in a few minutes.

your cylinder pressures seem high at 160. you may be getting oil inside the chamber from the faulty crank seal i mentioned earlier, or you have a tester that reads high. the second motor that has a difference of 20psi may have a hard time starting because of the difference. did you try to spray starter fluid directly into the carb to see if it will fire? these machines are really simple....all you need is spark, fuel and air.....if you get it to fire with the starter fluid, i would probably rig up a temporary fuel source directly into the carb to eliminate potential upstream issues(fuel filter, fuel selector, fuel lines, etc.) and if you get it to run on temporary fuel source you know where to start.....if it does not run, time to rebuild carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back