98 gsx limited 951 carb adjustment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mikispike

so i got 1998 seadoo gsx limited 951 carb oil pump deleted its a premix
i got the air silencer from ebay assemble it adjusted everything to manual setting on carb, carb was rebuild base on previous owner.
the issue i got is the ski dies on acceleration but if i rev it few pumps it goes fine if i let throttle go and ski still move but not idle speed it will accelerate on spot no engine die or anything.
so i set the carb to factory setting high it close the low is 2 turns out, my question is if i wanna do it right what i do first do i set the throttle cable first or do i set the idle rpm first?
i know it nob question but no where it mention what to set first rpm or throttle cable.?
manual said 2 turns out for low speed but the website for sea doo setting said is 1-1 1/4 which one is right?
thanks for all the help im on my way to the lake as i write it hope will get some input by the time i get there

Step 1 is to verify the PO actually used genuine mikuni parts including new needles and seats and follow the Carb Rebuild Sticky.
Make sure the accelerator pump is squirting.

Make sure you have slack in the throttle cable before messing with the idle.

He claimed to use all oem mikuni parts.
Accelerator pumps does squirt.
I have slack on the throttle thumb.
My gauge isn’t working to I replaced it with marine gauge from Amazon and it’s reading the rpm when I went to try to adjust the idle I notice the rpm won’t raise up sound like it when up a bit but rpm read same and ski on trailer in water don’t push stronger.
That’s why I wanted to readjust idle and throttle but don’t know which I need to set first.
And thanks for your input!

Some of the cheap rpm gauges don't sample fast enough to do much good. I only use TinyTach brand ones.

Back