96 xp 3k rpm limit, 5mph max

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jdgherasim

hello everyone, i got a chance to take out my new to me 96 xp out on the lake today. Rebuilt carbs with mikuni parts, popoff 32psi on both, no leaking seats or anything. i’m having a weird issue, the ski won’t go past 3k (i’m guessing as I don’t have an rpm gauge), but definitely around 3k rpm. it sounds like a rev limiter, i sit around 7ish mph wide open. i unplugged the red wire off the rectifier with no change, i actually got worse performance after unplugging. only 2 times the ski freed up and let me go wide open up to 40 mph, once i came back to an idle I couldn’t go past 3k again. 150 psi in both cylinders.new battery. fresh gaskets all around for exhaust and carbs. any ideas? i can idle around but it will kill itself every so often. new rectifier on the way just in case, the ski will rev past 3k on the trailer, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 3
to correct what i said about 7ish mph wide open, i don’t mean it’ll rev out and sit at 7mph, i can’t pick up speed at all no matter what. basically had to idle it back to the launch ramp.

I couldn’t say for sure but thought I would put in my 2 cents. A few things that you could try. Check the rave valves, I have a 97 GSX, when I first got it wouldn’t usually go above 4500 rpm and if it did, it wasn’t for long. On land, put a voltmeter on the battery while revving the machine to 5000 rpm, see what the voltage at battery is, can’t remember the the exact number, but if it’s high, say 15 or above roughly then a bad regulator/rectifier. Tried clipping back the plug wires a 1/4”? Check the colour of the plugs, Have you tried running it on reserve setting? If none of this helps or indicates a problem, I would recheck the carbs, I would have to look into the Mikuni manual to see what part of carb controls up to 1/4 throttle but double check the jets for dirt, those 2 or 3 tiny holes that go to the throat of the carb. Try putting 4 Ibs if pressure to pulse fitting on carb and see if it holds. Double check high and low screw settings. Your sure it was genuine Mikuni? Where did you purchase it from?

What carb settings? Also you mentioned new exhaust gaskets, ride around with seat off and see if that makes a difference, I’m thinking possible exhaust leak, choking it? Just some ideas

What carb settings? Also you mentioned new exhaust gaskets, ride around with seat off and see if that makes a difference, I’m thinking possible exhaust leak, choking it? Just some ideas
could very well be an exhaust leak, theres no water leak but there is a slight smell of oily exhaust gases inside the hull then i take the seat off and a little smoke

Sounds to me to be electrical safety circuit related. There is a switch on the forward - neutral - reverse that prevents the ski from starting when not in nuetral. This switch also Rev limits it to 3000rpm. Will it start in forward? If so Switch or wiring is bad.

The
Sounds to me to be electrical safety circuit related. There is a switch on the forward - neutral - reverse that prevents the ski from starting when not in nuetral. This switch also Rev limits it to 3000rpm. Will it start in forward? If so Switch or wiring is bad.
xp has no reverse

Definitely sounds like a bad voltage regular. Unplugging it shouldn't make the ski run worse either. I'm thinking its something electrical going on.

Back