2007 GTX 155 water in the cylinders

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernon Edwards

Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of GTX 155's less than 20 hrs. Before I put them in the water I run them & one of them I couldn't get it to crank. It was late at night & my wife got a bit confused with my instructions about when to turn the water on & I (she) may have flooded the engine, for sure there was water inside.

I pulled the plugs & cranked it several times until no water came out. I changed the milky oil 3 times let it dry a bit & then ran it on the trailer. It fired up immediately & ran smooth so I put it in the river after a quick check to ensure that the oil was still clean.

It started to misfire as soon as I got over about 3000 rpm so I pulled the ski out of the water & found the oil to be milky again. I did a compression test 160, 45, 160 rrrrrr. So I started to pull the head off. When taking of the intake manifold I discovered water in the intake but not on the middle cylinder where I had low compression.

In the process of taking the cam chain off I dropped a bolt into the engine which I could not retrieve so I pulled the engine. I discovered that the engine block & the front engine cover very badly corroded & the coating coming off in large flakes. Most of the bolt heads badly corroded. Just as well I pulled it. Looks like it was partly submerged in salt water & never cleaned. I'll tidy all that up & make it look like new again. I have some questions.

1. When I got the head off I could see no visible damage. All the valves seemed to be seating well so the low compression is a mystery. I used a flexible hose screwed into the plug socket by had & as it's hard to get tight I wonder if I had a bad seal? When I saw the compression so low I didn't want to crank too much more as I was sure I had bent valves.

2. Is it possible that that water still in the intake was causing the misfire rather then a messed up engine?

3. Should I bead blast the crankcase to remove all the old coating?

4. What paint should I use on the block?

5. I need nearly every single bolt on the outside of the engine replaced. I stopped when my shopping cart got to over $350 of bolts,... Can I use bolts from specbolt or the likes? some of their bolts 20170626_144149.jpgare 10 for $3.60 that are $3 ea as an OEM part. I do not mean the head bolts I will use OEM or good aftermarket for the head.

Thanks
Vernon

Yes, the water could have been the misfire. That said, it would not justify the low compression.

As long as the head is out, have a local shop magnaflux it. There may be a crack in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back