2001 gtx fri

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

KIX157

Hello! New here, and recently got 2001 gtx rfi Has no spark and when pressing start/stop button it doesn't turn over. Maybe someone can help with ideas what to check? Have checked the solenoid and starter both work. One ground cable was bad but after replacing it still have the same issue. Could it be the MPEM? Although I read on one sea doo forum that if it makes the two short beeps the MPEM should be fine.
I think it's 2001 gtx rfi, not quite sure though.
It's my first ski so any information about it will be helpful, thanks in advance đź‘Ś

Have the battery load tested. Also test the start button. Have you tried jumping the solenoid with a tool to verify everything from the solenoid to starter is working right?
Send us a pic of the engine, someone will be able to identity it, also the serial number on the back of the ski , the last two digits are the year it was made. RFI means it has no carbs but is fuel injected.

Is the beeper working and if so are you getting 2 beeps when inserting the key?
On a RFI the coil is located under the seat mount. Make sure those plugs are in good condition and plugged in securely There are (2) plugs. The single black is a ground If I remember correctly so make you you have continuity when grounding to the engine with the multi-meter.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I'll try to go and check these things today. I'm getting 2 short beeps when putting the key on. Guy who had it before me said it died on him while riding, after flushing with fresh water it started up but shortly died again. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with bad ground. Found a service manual yesterday so I'll try to go trough that and troubleshoot in order.

Attachments

• 20240406_180453.png
    20240406_180453.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 1000005876.png
    1000005876.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 1000005873.png
    1000005873.png
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 1000005874.png
    1000005874.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
I would take the spark plugs out and look in the cylinder to see if there is any water in there, almost sounds like he flooded the engine with water! If you can turn it over by hand until pistons come to the top on each side.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I'll try to go and check these things today. I'm getting 2 short beeps when putting the key on. Guy who had it before me said it died on him while riding, after flushing with fresh water it started up but shortly died again. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with bad ground. Found a service manual yesterday so I'll try to go trough that and troubleshoot in order.
Where are you from? That’s quite a view in the background

Have the battery load tested. Also test the start button. Have you tried jumping the solenoid with a tool to verify everything from the solenoid to starter is working right?
Send us a pic of the engine, someone will be able to identity it, also the serial number on the back of the ski , the last two digits are the year it was made. RFI means it has no carbs but is fuel injected.
If I jump the solenoid engine starts turning over. Battery is brand new 12v 19ah. In of mode the voltage is 12.36v when jumping solenoid it drops down to about 11.98v.

It's in really rough shape but I hope to get it running and freshen it up.
The loose red wire next to solenoid is one of the wires that go to main switch.
In second short video I turned on the diagnostic mode but after doing everything like the service manual says I don't get any error messages or beeps, so according to the manual engine should start 🤔
I will try to go trough manual and try to test everything I can in order according to the manual I'll try maybe this weekend if I will have the time.

Last edited:
I assume you've checked the voltage to the solenoid when you hit the start/stop button. That wire cold be internally corroded or a bad connection. I've dug some debris out of a plug on the Dess Post plug. You are getting 2 beeps so the computer is seeing what it needs to see. Seems you have either start circuit issues or the MPEM is not sending the signal. This is usually the point where I go in my MPEM stash and swap one out to see what happens. Do you have a friend with the same model ski?

Did you take the MPEM box apart. I have found water in them in the past. I believe that ski has a CDI type box also and that might be your problem as well. Good Luck !

Back