XP Won's Start.. just clicking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim8327

I have a 1996 Sea Doo XP that turns over a couple of times, but won't start. Switched out the battery, but no luck. After a couple of tries, it's now just clicking. Any ideas or suggestion?

Thanks.

Jim

1) Is the battery any good? Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good. (or charged) There are a lot of crappy batteries out there. (Especially Wal-Mart, Interstate, and Chief Auto)

2) if you think the battery is good, then jump the solenoid. If it still won't crank, it's a bad starter, or corroded wires. If it does crank... then replace the solenoid.

Finally... what ever you do... DO NOT JUMP START THE SKI !! You can roast the expensive MPEM.

Yep yep,,,

Most assume the battery is good, and half if them are wrong.

Get a meter on the battery and tell us the voltage when TRYING to crank the engine. Post your findings here.

Yes don't jump start it. And also when you test the battery the usual reading is 12V but I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that. I'm sure Dr Honda knows how many volts you need for certain.

Yes don't jump start it. And also when you test the battery the usual reading is 12V but I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that. I'm sure Dr Honda knows how many volts you need for certain.

MPEMs stop working at around 10.5 volts. Skis can still crank at 10.5 volts if the starter and all cables and connections are excellent.

But normally have an issue with cranking in the low 11 volt area.

MPEMs stop working at around 10.5 volts. Skis can still crank at 10.5 volts if the starter and all cables and connections are excellent.

But normally have an issue with cranking in the low 11 volt area.

Oh didn't know the MPEMs stop working at 10.5ish but now I know for future reference

Yep, I had a battery take a dump even after being on a tender all winter in the gtx, it would still crank over but the voltage was weak enough that it had trouble firing the plugs while cranking, presented like a leaky needle where it would have to crank a few seconds before starting out on the water, and the 12v low light would stay on for a few seconds then go out.

Thanks all for the responses.

Dr. Honda, yes the battery is fine. I switched the batteries on my other XP and I had the same issue. I did not have a meter (was up in northern Michigan) so I dropped off the XP at a service center. Will post the outcome after they diagnose the problem.

Jim

It was the starter... $300 parts and labor to fix.

Thanks all.

First insure you have at least 12.6 volts at the battery terminals. Slow charge if neccessary.
If it is the solenoid they usually just get carbon on the contact points and stops the battery
cable current from transferring to the starter. They can be pulled apart, then drill the rivets
out and cleaned with a small file or sandpaper and they will go for another ten years or so.
Starting the ski with low voltage from the battery accelerates the carbon build up on the
contact points. Bypass the solenoid with a big wrench or pliers. If the engine starter does not
engage, remove the starter and install a $20 starter re-build kit, ebay has many for sale.
OR buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back