Worth buying for resell????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyRabbit712

I found a 1998 GSX Limited a guy wants to sell for $450 NO TRAILER.

It needs a top end rebuild. He took care of this jet ski along with a 2000 GTX like they were his babies. Garage kept, covered, maintenance every year before and after summer. Has a bit of hours but taken care of to the max. He is selling to buy another ski doo I believe.

Anyway.....

Asking $450, great shape, NEEDS TOP END REBUILD

My question: Is it worth buying the jet ski, doing the work MYSELF (cheaper and project plans), and RESELLING it in a few weeks?? Would there be any room for profit in doing this?

Research: this is a great ski, pretty common around here in KY but desirable for sure. Great 951 engine, cost around $300 for the rebuild kit. Kelly Blue Book it's worth $2036.

I think it would be hard to make enough money to be worth your time. Also... it's hard to sell a ski like that without a trailer. So... you would have to find a trailer. And realistically... with it being mid July... the market is on the back side of pricing.

If it's clean, and there is nothing else wrong... yes you will make some money. But... there is a good chance that you will have to put $$$ into other things. (like the pump, or driveshaft seals)

If that was around here... I would expect to pay $2k with a basic trailer. If it's SUPER clean, and the trailer is nice... then $2500.

If you want to buy it as a personal project... then it's worth the time an effort. Or... if it is clean... it would be more sensible to just buy it to part it out.

there's profit in it... a trailer would be nice, but no downside if the cases are intact and the electronics are good you can break even right there with about 2 hours work.

do not budget $300 and expect that to pan out... that would be a rookie mistake, assume the worst and make sure you have the cash to finish the job before season ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I were to buy it this week or something and fix it up over the year, get it running and everything. Then put it up for sale in the spring/summer of next year?

Would that give me any more profit? Possibly get a trailer as time goes on as well.

Yea thats what I'm thinking. Even if I sell it this year after I restore it a bit and go through it I can make a little bit. Summer is no where near over here and the River Camps are busy every weekend until around Mid-September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back