Won't turn over - Sea Doo 2004 RXP 4-TEC SuperChrg

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossr

Just purchased Sea Doo 2004 RXP 4-TEC SuperChrg, unit has 66 hrs, (it was a steal) - I though battery was low as it had been sitting in the persons garage for over a year so I replaced with fully charged battery and hooked up the lanyard to start unit and click...
First thing displayed for approx. 5 seconds is the word "Sensor" it flashes 5-times then goes away into the normal 4-Quick beeps... When I press the Start/Stop button it does not hit the starter but I hear a light CLICK and nothing, I can press it over and over and it does the same thing. I even put in another battery from my other ski and it did the same thing.... Once past the initial "Sensor" message I can go thru all of the options and I do not see the "Sensor" message again...
I have looked up the word Sensor in the PDF manual for this unit and it does not display anything I am familiar with - "Faulty Sensor - MPEM or EMS ECU..... any thoughts that might help in this resolution? I am new to the Sea Doo line but this is not my fist ski... I have all of the manuals and tools to work on just about anything just need the expertise...

Sounds like a starter or the connection to the starter. If you need a starter I have one off of a ski of the same model I’ll sell you.

I will be looking at this closer tomorrow and will let you know what I find out to see if I need anything - thank you.

I would pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If it is free it sounds like your solenoid is clicking but the starter isn’t turning.

I bypassed the Starter Relay and the engine turned over (good that the engine is not seized) - so I looked at the SeaDoo "Shop Manual" under electrical system -
Solenoid:

Static Test : Continuity - Check primary winding resistance , should by approx. 5 ohms
The multi-meter showed an open circuit (Infinity) (but I did have the positive lead off the solenoid at that time don't know if that makes a difference.

Dynamic test: Depress the start button and measure the voltage on the solenoid posts with multi-meter
The Voltage when either the (Stop/Start) button was depressed or left alone was 12.5 volts..
Book said if it was ZERO volts the solenoid was bad - I guess its functioning?? Sounded like within the Solenoid that you could hear it clicking over when the Start/Stop button was depressed..

Looking for some thoughts again here as the Static Test I thought should a problem but the Dynamic test showed something else?

Also under the the Diagnostic test of Pressing the Set button 5 times it show a Error P1517 referencing the COMPASS - pressed set and it Beeped 1-once and went on...
Thanks,

The solenoid is very simple. It is just supposed to bridge those two big posts on top. When you measured the voltage, it sounds like you only measured one of the posts. That one is coming from the battery. The other goes to the starter. Measure that one as you're pressing the start button. It should be 100% equal on both posts, or it's bad. If you have say 12v on one side and 11.7 on the other when the start button is pressed, it's bad. Voltage is easy to transmit, current is not. If you unplug the small wires going to the solenoid and put a volt meter between them, they should read 12v when you press the start button. Do you hear two happy chirps when you first put the key on?

solenoid failure is very common, make sure you buy the newer black all plastic replacement and not the brown or black with riveted plate on back. even the cheap all black plastic ones on ebay for $10 are proving to be very reliable.

the reason it says sensor when you put the key on is because it has a depth gauge and it is trying to read the water depth but since it is on the trailer it creates this fault and is normal. when in water it won't say sensor.

press set 5 times, then press mode until it says end. report back with all codes.

the compass code is pretty common, you will either need a new compass sensor(cheap used ones on ebay)or your ECU has lost its programming to display the compass but sees that it is connected. this will require the ski to be hooked up to BUDS or Candoo to modify it, you should search this as I think there is a way to determine which error it is but can't remember.

Gentlemen, thank you for your assistance - solenoid replaced and all is well now i just need warm weather and smooth waters....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back