Wont start in water 99 gtx rfi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the RPM out of water? If it is 3000 then it is probably not an idle issue. Could be a week battery. What is the compression?

Not staying really idling out of water but when it does it's at 1450 to 1520 so how do I set the idling I'm just learning to work on these so can't really tell where the idle screw is

Compression test it out at like 127 per head and the popoff was like 27 something like that on the fuel so a guy tested that for me said those are both fine

Is your ski a RFI like in your signature?

If so the idle is controlled by the computer.
You can't check pop-off because it doesn't even have carbs.

At 127 your compression is low and something is wrong. 150 psi is what it should be at, 130 is marginal and at 120 it's done.

Yes it's rfi I'm going to call the guy right now to see what the numbers were again it was fuel pressure not pop off sorry

Ok I just hooked it up to the water hose its idle is at 3120 I charged the battery all night but when I got up although it said charged 100 the fan on charger was still going that tells me the battery mite have a dead cell also the 12 volt light just popped on so I believe I might have a battery problem

Possibly, the injected skis love their battery voltage and will not run without it.

Well I took the battery to the advanced auto they are charging it up and going to check it if the battery turns out good what would be the next step

My brothers is a master tec he's going to come by and do compression and fuel checks the guy I bought it from died 4 days after I bought it so I can't get into from him but he said it ran fine and was a new top end as of last year but when I took it out on the lake it started right up i rode it five minutes turned it off and then it would not start back up we messed with it a couple hours and got it to start up then a t full throttle it went like 2miles an hour I loaded it up bought a waverunner and went back last week and found it had hole in the silencer so I replaced those and I'm back at it just really want it to work its easier for me to take the kids on the seedoo as the gp760 has to much go in it and is like riding a 2 stroke dirt bike compared so it's really all go I'm more comfortable taking them on a 3 seater

Well with out knowing all the history it is hard for us to ascertain. For instance did previous owner find the cause of any previous issues that required a new to end. Has the fuel lines been replaced from the originals? Were the carbs rebuilt? And if so were OEM kits used?

If you do not know the answers to those, start asking the necessary questions to address any of those issues. What color are the fuel lines?

Well with out knowing all the history it is hard for us to ascertain. For instance did previous owner find the cause of any previous issues that required a new to end. Has the fuel lines been replaced from the originals? Were the carbs rebuilt? And if so were OEM kits used?

If you do not know the answers to those, start asking the necessary questions to address any of those issues. What color are the fuel lines?

It's fuel injected so no fuel lines to replace of carbs to rebuild.

However the in tank fuel filters are a good place to start for maintenance and fuel starvation.

You can adjust a RFI idle manually as there is an allen screw on the throttle plate which you will see if yuo look straight down between the throttle body and engine. In the water you should be at 1500 +/- and around 3k out of the water. If you're 1500 rpms out of the water it will never start in the water.

Starts on trailer but not in the water ould it be an idle problem

Honestly if you just got the ski, take your time, read through these forums an rebuild it from the crankshaft up. Rebuild kit is not to bad on a price, just shop around. I went with WSM platinum series pitons and crank, I just finished my first 99 GTX rfi and it feels great!

You will know more about the ski you’re running on the water, you’ll understand common issues an be able to fine problems an fix them effectively and efficiently.

I have a great deal respect for the sport!

OSD sells a rectifier upgrade for that ski I would invest in one I did for my son's RFI makes a huge difference Sea doo did not realize the extra draw from the fuel injection on the electrical system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back