Wiring question......please advise!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nautinurse

Hi all....new to this forum, but have found good luck in many others on other subjects, so hoping to find some good input here!

I have a 2002 Islandia with a Mercury M2 V-6 Jet Drive. Been having some problems lately with high idling and low speed. I live on a small sport lake and we tender our boat about 20 feet from shore. It has been weedy lately and we have NEVER flushed the engine. So......I have a list of things to do today to help, i.e. new gas + Seafoam, cleaning the water intake, checking the impeller and grates, etc.

Here's a new one....I was inside the engine compartment and found the following wiring.

(((THIS IS WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO INSERT PHOTOS, BUT I CAN'T GET THEM TO WORK....SO WILL YOU PLEASE CHECK MY PHOTO ALBUM TITLED WIRING PROBLEM?)))

Being a virgin owner, and knowing a little bit about wiring, I am only to assume a.) these wires need to be attached OR b.) these wires don't need to be attached. Seeing that I don't want to blow the engine, nor do I want to create a worse problem, I came here.

#1....anyone know if these need to be hooked up? And do I need to worry about polarity? There is no difference in color of wiring, as you can see!

#2.....anyone have any other suggestions as to what to check out? I am hoping my instincts are correct in that we just have to flush out the engine.

THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH!!

Jenny aka NAUTIRN

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all....new to this forum, but have found good luck in many others on other subjects, so hoping to find some good input here!

I have a 2002 Islandia with a Mercury M2 V-6 Jet Drive. Been having some problems lately with high idling and low speed. I live on a small sport lake and we tender our boat about 20 feet from shore. It has been weedy lately and we have NEVER flushed the engine. So......I have a list of things to do today to help, i.e. new gas + Seafoam, cleaning the water intake, checking the impeller and grates, etc.

Here's a new one....I was inside the engine compartment and found the following wiring.

(((THIS IS WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO INSERT PHOTOS, BUT I CAN'T GET THEM TO WORK....SO WILL YOU PLEASE CHECK MY PHOTO ALBUM TITLED WIRING PROBLEM?)))

Being a virgin owner, and knowing a little bit about wiring, I am only to assume a.) these wires need to be attached OR b.) these wires don't need to be attached. Seeing that I don't want to blow the engine, nor do I want to create a worse problem, I came here.

#1....anyone know if these need to be hooked up? And do I need to worry about polarity? There is no difference in color of wiring, as you can see!

#2.....anyone have any other suggestions as to what to check out? I am hoping my instincts are correct in that we just have to flush out the engine.

THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH!!

Jenny aka NAUTIRN

What you are looking at is the Air Temp Sensor. Air Temp Sensor.jpg

From the Nov 1999 manual it states, "The air temperature sensor transmits manifold absolute air temperature, through full RPM range, to the ECM. As air temperature increases “sensor” resistance decreases causing the ECM to decrease fuel flow (leaner mixture). Disconnecting the air temp sensor (open circuit) will increase fuel flow (richen mixture) by 10%. Bypassing air temp sensor (short in circuit) will cause fuel flow to decrease 10%.The air temperature sensor circuit can be tested using the EFI tester. The air temperature sensor can be tested following air temperature
sensor test on page 3D-44.

My engine is a 2002 so alot is different or I would go look at my engine and give you more, but atlease you know what it is know.

Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back