Wiring question - 96 XP Solenoid

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrisp

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I've gotten to work on my Seadoos, just life and health stuff took the time away. lol

I've set aside this weekend, with no distractions to try to get my 96 XP running again. I had forgotten when I was working on the 95, that I had removed the starter solenoid to diagnose a problem. So, that's adding some repair time.

On the picture, I've circled the wires that I'm not exactly sure where they attach. I'm thinking that all of the red wires go to the solenoid on the same post, and the ones circled in black (just the negative from the battery) attaches to the other post on the solenoid, is that correct? And, does it matter which post the red/black wires attach to? I mean do I just pic one side or the other and wire them up, or do they need to be on a specific side?

Once I get this wired in, I'm heading to the car wash and remove 4 years of oil/dirt/dust/ and whatever else is in the hull, so that I can remove and repair the starter tomorrow. If everything goes as planned, I'm hoping to have the XP on the lake, albeit on the trailer, to see if she will run, by Sunday.

Thanks!!

Scott

InkedSeadoo pic_LI.jpg

Sorry, I was thinking that this was the solenoid, it looks just like the one on my motorcycle.

Anyway, I have two red and two black thick cables coming into the ignition box and I'm really confused now as to how they are supposed to connect. It doesn't look as though the black cables attach to a post at all, they are already connected. So is it one red thick cable and one thin on each post?

I looked at my SPX and there are two red, but only one black wire in the plastic box.

Red Ring goes on the same side as the battery feed. The other big red wire goes to the starter. No wires connect to the cable that goes directly to the starter. A wiring diagram would be helpful for you. This is a GTI solenoid connection.GTI Rear Elec. 2003.jpeg

Red Ring goes on the same side as the battery feed. The other big red wire goes to the starter. No wires connect to the cable that goes directly to the starter. A wiring diagram would be helpful for you. This is a GTI solenoid connection.

Thanks, I found a shop manual that I had downloaded a while back and it has the pic that I need. The red rings both go on the same side as the battery feed.

It doesn't matter much for now anyway, I just took the starter off and apart, and the magnets disintegrated when I pulled the caps apart!! Not sure what happened, it has been sitting for four years or so, but didn't have any water in the hull and was kept inside the garage. It may have gotten water inside when the starter failed while on the lake the last time, and I had to be towed. I seem to remember there being water in the hull that had to be drained, and I put a bunch of desiccant bags in the hull before storing it. Sigh, looks like I'm on the hunt for a new starter now.

Thanks for the reply!!

The red ringed terminals, (at least one of them), charge your battery. Pull your fuses and check for corrosion. Also remove the black grounds that go to your coil and check for corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back