Winterizing question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

masonbits

Hello, sorry if this has already been covered. I tried searching for the information, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a new Spark owner, bought a 2016 2up earlier this spring with 22hrs on it. I purchased it from a local dealership and before picking it up they replaced the oil and the spark plugs to make sure it was good to go.

I'm coming to the end of my first summer in BC, Canada, and I'm wondering if I need to do the full winterize service? I've only put on an additional 18 hours and the Spark will be stored in a heated garage that might drop to 10C/50F on the coldest day.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm all for preventative maintenance and ensuring I get the longest life possible out of my toys.

FWIW....I don't know of much that you can do to "winterize" a spark since the top deck doesn't come off easily and besides it's a 4 stroke. I have a 2017 2up and I simply run a fuel treatment in the gas tank, run her a minute or two to get the treatment through the system, make sure the coolant is topped off, the fuel is topped off, the oil & filter is clean (or changed), pull the battery and then simply cover her up for the winter. She is left outside on a cradle and the temps can get down to -25F at Winter's worst. (She sits behind a cottage on the St. Lawrence River all winter and the wind can get brutal up there)

In the Spring, a fully charged battery goes in and she has never failed to start and run like new....so far, so good. If you are keeping her inside and "warm" (such a luxury), I highly doubt you'll have any issues whatsoever.

Thanks for your reply! I've done exactly the same thing, so I'm sure I will have no issues either. A friend suggested fogging the engine to prevent rust from forming in the cylinders, but I didn't end up doing that.

Thanks for your reply! I've done exactly the same thing, so I'm sure I will have no issues either. A friend suggested fogging the engine to prevent rust from forming in the cylinders, but I didn't end up doing that.
The fuel treatment I use (K100) is supposed to take care of the "fogging" aspect.....we call K100 -> "miracle piss".......looks like piss, works like magic to keep the fuel system clean and the gas fresh (IF you believe in magic, but I've had no problems with it to date and I use it in all my skis (x3) and boats(x2) for years now)

I also leave in Canada, south shore Quebec City. One important thing is to remove the water in the exhaust system and replace it by plumbing antifreeze. This is to avoid water to make damage to the exhaust system when it become ice. It makes more space and can crack the exaust.
To do that, you have to connect hose to the inlet of the jet pump. You use drill pump to pump antifreeze. You have to start the engine first. Activate drill pump. Do it for approx 30 secondes or when antifreeze is going outside the jet pump. You stop the drill pump. Hit two-three times the throttle to remove the eccess of liquid from the exhaust. Stop the engine and it's done!
I suggest you to put a bin under the jet pump. The water and antifreeze will drop in instead of the floor.

Back