Winterizing 2000 Sportster 1800 with Mercury m2 v6

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamble6x

I'm seriously turned around and confused and would appreciate any direction.

So, late this summer I purchased a 2000 Sportster 1800 from across country. Had a mechanic check it out there and was told the engine compression was basically like new. Swapped some plugs and did a general tune up and I've had it out a few times since it's arrived. Runs great.

However, it seems that where I live nobody wants to touch it. I've contacted 11 different mechanics including a Sea Doo certified seller/service and they won't have anything to do with it. Frustrating to all hell.

So I've purchased premium membership here to get all the manuals, as I keep coming across different recommendations about it. Some places say if you flush the system to start the water first, some say to start the engine and turn on the water once it's running (for instance). I was hoping the manuals would get specific about it and about winterizing. But sadly, no luck.

Can anyone give me the basic gist of the process? I've read that the V6 is "self draining" so it doesn't even need to be flushed with anti-freeze (though I've come across recommendations for a sump pump to do so as well).

I have already added fuel stabilizer to the gas, but I need to run it for a bit to pull it through the engine and I don't know if I should turn the water on first or not and even with it how long it can run.

I have purchased anti-freeze but I'm not sure if I must get a sump pump or if I can just pour it in using a funnel while running or not.

I have engine fog, but I can't find any instructions anywhere on where to put that aside from some comments about removing the spark plugs and spraying the pistons and then turning it over once or twice, but not running it. My experience with fogging agent was with a 90s PWC where I sprayed it into the carburetor while it was running.

Then there's additional things I've found about running it for 10 minutes with water hooked up and disconnecting the fuel hose to let it run out of fuel until it dies?... But that obviously presumes you're still running water into it so it doesn't overheat.

Then there's all this from the M2 manual:
1. Drain and replace drive housing unit.
2. Drain and replace stator housing lubricant.
3. Remove impeller and lubricate impeller shaft.
4. Remove engine deposits
5. Replace engine fuel line filter

None of which seems to have any description of how.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've got the same engine/boat as you.

I think You should be able to turn on water first, then engine. The m2 jet drive manual (page 1B-2) states you can turn on the water and "May" start the engine but keep it at idle. I wouldn't run for too long since the water pressure may not be strong enough through the hose to effectively cool the engine off for a long period.

For mine, I put stabilizer in and ran it a bit.
Took out the spark plugs and put fogging oil in each for a good 10 seconds.
Cranked the engine like,.. 2 revolutions to make sure it gets over everything. Closed everything up.
Then changed the stator oil as well as the drive oil.

That's about it. Yes the engine is self draining, no antifreeze needed. It'd just end up on the floor. (you'd see when water is put through the flush line, it just falls to the floor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back