Winterize advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

koopah

Hi all,

I've had my ski (2010 RXT-X 260) for a couple of years now so figured it was about time I winterized it myself. It will still go to the dealer in the new year for a service so I just need to make sure it's safe through the winter in the garage.

Apologies if this is a real noobie post but i'd really appreciate any input to make sure i'm doing it right. I have watched so many youtube videos on it, some of which contradict each other.

1) Fuel stabiliser in the tank, fill with fuel and run for a few seconds
2) Plugs out, XPS lube in the engine, turn over and replace plugs
3) Clean and dry engine bay, XPS lube all metalwork
4) Antifreeze in the flush inlet with engine running until it runs out the pump
5) Exterior wash and wax
6) Battery on optimate

Point 4 is my main concern as I guess some pressure is needed to get the anti freeze through the system. I've seen some videos of people pouring it in with a funnel connected to a hose pipe on the flush inlet and letting gravity do it's job but will that reach everywhere it needs to?

Again, sorry for the newbie question and really appreciate any advice on offer.

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have an intercooler, yes, you will need some pressure to get the antifreeze into all the tiny passages in the system. Simply gravity feeding the antifreeze may not be enough. I simply use an old bilge pump I had laying around and a bucket to force it into the flush port. I do this with the engine running and let it pump through until I see it come out the jet pump AND the exhaust. Only then do you know it flowed though the whole circuit. I usually use about 2 Gallons, overkill I know, but rather be safe than sorry.

Check out this thread: https://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?66745-Question-on-4-Tec-winterizing&highlight=winterize+devonte007

You can really use anything from a bilge pump to a sump pump, anything you have handy. Another forum member made a nice youtube video of the process, he's got lots of great seadoo videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grd6IwYpdo4

Many thanks, that's really helpful.
Small bilge pumps are pretty cheap, i'll grab one and make up a hose attachment to fit the flush adaptor.
Do you think a 500GPH pump would be enough to push the anti freeze around where it needs to go or should I get something a bit more powerful?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BILGE-PU...167079?hash=item258b700fe7:g:ZScAAOSwv~NZuAHX

It appears from reading that a standard garden hose is around the 500GPH mark so pretty sure that will suffice.

Any particular anti freeze you would recommend?

Thanks again.

Any bilge pump should work, doesn't take that much pressure. Also any non-toxic RV antifreeze will work fine, I just buy whatever pink stuff is on sale here in the US. Usually a couple dollars per gallon. Things might be different in your neck of the woods.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Brilliant, thanks again.

I have ordered the same bilge pump as the one in the video you posted a link to above (500GPH), a bit of 19mm (3/4inch) hose and a 19mm hozelock connector to fit on the flush adaptor. Have also finally found some non toxic antifreeze (pink here too btw) so will grab a gallon of that when the bits arrive.

As for powering the bilge pump, I’ve bought a TM plug to stick on the power lead so can use the alligator clips that I normally use for the optimate. Should work perfectly.

I want to try and get an air line (50psi) on the flush inlet to blow the water out but my mates compressor is not mobile... may have to just make do with the antifreeze flush this year, it’s in the garage anyway so hopefully will be fine having the fluid sitting in it.

I’ll let you know how it goes. Silly I know, but I’ll definately feel a sense of achievement if I manage to do this myself.

Brilliant, thanks again.

I have ordered the same bilge pump as the one in the video you posted a link to above (500GPH), a bit of 19mm (3/4inch) hose and a 19mm hozelock connector to fit on the flush adaptor. Have also finally found some non toxic antifreeze (pink here too btw) so will grab a gallon of that when the bits arrive.

As for powering the bilge pump, I’ve bought a TM plug to stick on the power lead so can use the alligator clips that I normally use for the optimate. Should work perfectly.

I want to try and get an air line (50psi) on the flush inlet to blow the water out but my mates compressor is not mobile... may have to just make do with the antifreeze flush this year, it’s in the garage anyway so hopefully will be fine having the fluid sitting in it.

I’ll let you know how it goes. Silly I know, but I’ll definately feel a sense of achievement if I manage to do this myself.

Get an empty propane tank and a conversion kit to make a portable air tank.

None of these suggestions are the easy route. The easiest thing is what I do. I use a common drill pump, only about $7. Then I attach a short length of garden hose on each end, the male adapter on the outlet, just a 2 foot section on the inlet.

It only takes a minute to screw the whole assembly onto the flush port, hookup a cordless drill, stick the inlet hose in a gallon of RV antifreeze, and you are ready to pump. Start the engine, run the drill until you see pink out the back, stop pumping, quick unscrew the hose out the flush, blip the throttle to blow out excess out the back, done. If you phuck around with bilge pumps, pump tanks and whatnot, it takes a lot longer and will cost a lot more. Keep it simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back