Winter Riding

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello to all, just got into jet skis in May of this year. By cheap and fix em is my motto. LOL I am not going to let the skis sit up over the winter and it doesn't get all that cold along the Mississippi Gulf coast area. I am looking for advice on apparel for riding in air temperatures around 60 - 80 degrees. I am looking for something lite and comfortable. I am new to this so advice on what to look for would be great. I also Scuba dive. Is what I am looking for basically a wet suit ?

I have a 1996 SPI and a 1996 GTX.

Thanks!!

I’m new to the board so I’m reading older messages now. I haven’t been on my ski in 60 degrees, but have been on/in water at that temp. I’d start with a rash guard top. If it’s too cold for you I’d pull a lightweight wetsuit top over that and you should be good to go. Have fun!

T-shirt, jeans, crocks and a good life jacket. When it gets up to 60 degrees it's time for the shorts and sunglasses. If it ever gets to 80 we hide in the basement thinking the world is coming to an end......

I'm from Fairbanks AK. "Winter riding" has a whole different meaning. My first ride this spring was sliding my Doo over three feet of ice on the edge of the boat launch and slaloming ice floes on the Chena.

Attachments

• 20180504_214056.png
    20180504_214056.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
T-shirt, jeans, crocks and a good life jacket. When it gets up to 60 degrees it's time for the shorts and sunglasses. If it ever gets to 80 we hide in the basement thinking the world is coming to an end......

I'm from Fairbanks AK. "Winter riding" has a whole different meaning. My first ride this spring was sliding my Doo over three feet of ice on the edge of the boat launch and slaloming ice floes on the Chena.

Despite how totally insane that looks to be literally riding through ice chunks, I now really want to try it :p

I am genuinely curious, how warm does your "summer" season get and how long does it last? I imagine there's probably not too many others riding jet skis up there

Tons of people riding. "Hot" summer is only about 4 weeks long, a couple of days getting into the 80s. Ice goes out about mid may and we put the DOOs away last weekend. Plenty of Yamahas running around but BRP shot themselves in the foot when they aquired from Bombardier and demanded any dealership increase sales by a percentage each year or loose their line. A PWC lasts 20 years up here if it is maintained..... between 89 and 95 DOOs sold like crazy, the limited market became saturated and sales dropped off by 97/98. The local dealer dropped the Sea-Doo line because they could not meet sales demand and most everyone went to Yamaha and Kawasaki.

That's super interesting! Totally different scene up there. Forgive my total ignorance, but I always just assumed nobody would bother with water sports up there. At the risk of sounding stereotypical though, I bet I'd be jealous of the snowmobiling opportunities....

Around here (NY shore of Lake Ontario) every time I go out, I'm seeing these brand new 2018/19 luxury Sea-Doos with built-in stereo systems, LED strips, superchargers and whatnot. Then there's me on my tiny and loud little 97 SPX :cool:

That's super interesting! Totally different scene up there. Forgive my total ignorance, but I always just assumed nobody would bother with water sports up there. At the risk of sounding stereotypical though, I bet I'd be jealous of the snowmobiling opportunities....

Around here (NY shore of Lake Ontario) every time I go out, I'm seeing these brand new 2018/19 luxury Sea-Doos with built-in stereo systems, LED strips, superchargers and whatnot. Then there's me on my tiny and loud little 97 SPX :cool:

That is true, but your SPX is actually maneuverable and fun to ride, LOL.

Very true! They don't even know what they're missing!

I've ridden my friends 2016 supercharged Yamaha a few times (top speed of 75-80 mph!!!) and even that doesn't bring as big of a smile to my face as this little SPX. Being on a tight budget has forced me into a good decision for once :D

.....I really did like that finger throttle though....... might have to get me one of those......

We had a frost warning last night here in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. Our SeaDoos are still down at the shore ready to go. The air temps have been between a high in the 70's and overnight lows in the 30's - typical Minnesota fall. So still plenty of nice days to ride. The water temp is getting down into the 60's, so can be a bit chill on the feet, so I wear some water shoes along with a jacket or long sleeved windproof shirt under my life jacket when riding.

This time of year, after every time they are pulled out of the water, I use the air compressor to blow out the exhaust using the flushing port to avoid any chance of freeze damage if it gets really cold some night before I pull them out for the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back