Wicked Fuel Leak On 95 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

riffe723

Hey all. Bought another project here recently. It’s a 95 xp, runs damn good, looks like hell. Plan to restore it this winter. Paid $400 with all paper work. After taking it out the first time, I got home and drained the hull via the plug. Started looking around and noticed a wicked gas smell. Did some more investigating and found that some fuel was running down the back of the fuel tank, closest to the engine. It looks like it is leaking down from where the oil tank sits on top of the fuel tank, right from the crack between where they sit together. I’m on the road traveling for work right now and I’ve been thinking about it, so I’m trying to see if anyone has seen this issue before. Kinda already started to diag where it was coming from but just seeing if someone knew, or has heard of this. Attached a pic of the cheap xp I bought. Ski and trailer, I purchased for $400. STEAL.
IMG_2236.JPG

Gday ftom Australia riffle 723.. Mate I just picked one up too... Exactly the sameas yours... Mine is in awsome condition... Body is perfect just needs a good polish and some minor patch work to the gel coat.... Mechanicals are excellent... Engine has been rebuilt and a new exhaust system fitted. I paid Australian $600 with an awsome trailer too.. 20180811_093608.jpgJust it wasnt cared for... The usual stuff....impellor damaged...wear ring... Seals... Vts system shot... Electrical is a bit messy but all in all its nothing that can't be fixed... At the moment I am in the process of restoring the old girl to her former glory hopefully read for the comming summer here in Oz. I too had a very noticeable fuel vapour smell comming from the engine compartment.... And decided to diag...amd sure enough the filler neck which connects to the filler hose has a large crack that almost runs right around... After removing the tank I decided to look at my optionns... Plastic weld... Replace or epoxy....all of which I decided wouldn't suffice as you don't mess with fuel tanks that can leak in your ski. I stumbled upon a post here about a bloke in the USA that said there is an active safety recall for the fuel tanks for 1995 xp seadoos as there is a manufacturing fault that causes most of the tanks to crack there... He said just note down your hin number and contact your local seadoo/brp dealership and advise them of the active recall for the tanks... They will check your hin number and if it hasn't been replaced yet they will have to order a new one for your ski and install it at no charge to you.... I did i just that here in queensland Australia... And you guessed it... Mine was still active and hadn't been replaced yet... They order a new one for me and called 2 days ago to advise its in and I can book a service spot to have the ew one installed.... Little. To say the service guy was absolutely amazed that their is still a recall active 25 years later.... I bet it's in seadoos interest as could you imagine if people started to get hurt by fuel or vapours igniting in the engine compartment while you are riding... Shit... The litigation would be huge... So kudos to seadoo for still doing this recall after 25 years hey... You shouldn't have a problem as long as it has not been done on your ski yet... Just get your hin nu. Be located and the back wall just above your exhaust outlet on the transom..... Mate good luck with the restore... Get onto your lo Al dealer and keep me posted about your progress... Oh and ps... If your dealer dosnt want to help... Just call seadoo direct in your state / city and explain to them your issue and about the active recall.
Cheers.
Jacko
Here's a couple of pics of mine as she is.... Still going... Missus hate me.. Lol

Attachments

• 20180811_093542.jpg
    20180811_093542.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20180717_201232.jpg
    20180717_201232.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 20180811_093927.jpg
    20180811_093927.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 20180811_093935.jpg
    20180811_093935.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Hey all. Bought another project here recently. It’s a 95 xp, runs damn good, looks like hell. Plan to restore it this winter. Paid $400 with all paper work. After taking it out the first time, I got home and drained the hull via the plug. Started looking around and noticed a wicked gas smell. Did some more investigating and found that some fuel was running down the back of the fuel tank, closest to the engine. It looks like it is leaking down from where the oil tank sits on top of the fuel tank, right from the crack between where they sit together. I’m on the road traveling for work right now and I’ve been thinking about it, so I’m trying to see if anyone has seen this issue before. Kinda already started to diag where it was coming from but just seeing if someone knew, or has heard of this. Attached a pic of the cheap xp I bought. Ski and trailer, I purchased for $400. STEAL.

Call your dealer or the seadoo 800 number as the gas tanks were known to crack at the top and are still under warranty. IF you give them your VIN they can look it up and you will get a new free tank installed if yours was never done.

Yes they will still honor the recall there is no expiration on the tank recall as long as it has not already been done I just had mine done last month on an 95 xp I got cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back