Whos using ultrasonic cleaners for carbs?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnetonka4me

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a crap ton of carbs to do this spring and I think now is the time to invest in a decent one.

Can anyone suggest what models to look for and also the ideal solution to be using?

Thanks in advance!!!:thumbsup::cheers:

I recently watched a couple youtube videos on it and was thinking we should get one. A guy I work with uses the harbor freight on for his guns. He said he did his lawn mower carb with 50% vinegar solution. Said it turned out perfect.

I bought the HB one a while back. A Seadoo carb barely fits in there so you have to do it at least twice, rotating it between cycles. I used Purple Power and water and it kind of burns the aluminum so I need a better solution.

These days I've been skipping it. I just wash them inside and out with the Purple Power. Any stubborn little holes get the carb cleaner. I just was not getting a benefit enough from the Ultrasonic to not start skipping that step.

I remember someone posting about using the HF sonic cleaner for the small carb parts, and that it worked pretty well. I read on another site that the HF cleaner is the same as the one sold under the Lyman name for about $40 more. Lyman makes equipment for ammunition reloading.

I use the ultrasonic cleaner, the elcheapo one. It seems to work excellent

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I didnt really think about the purple power...I bet if you diluted it a bit it might work better Matt.

Im the guy that uses damn near a can of carb cleaner on each set...indoors....what year is it?? I should prob be wearing a helmet with all the cleaner Ive inhaled.

Im def buying one thats big enough for 2 carbs and is heated....thats for sure. HF aint going to cut it for this job.

...Im the guy that uses damn near a can of carb cleaner on each set...indoors....what year is it?? I should prob be wearing a helmet with all the cleaner Ive inhaled...

I get some in my eyes every time....I read the can once, and apparently (according to the can) I have about 7 days to live. Love the smell though.....mmmmm

I have a smaller one that I use to repair the circuit boards in phones that have been dropped in water. I use 97 percent alcohol. I also use it for jewelry with soapy water. The model I have heats up..

I bought this one from cabelas it was on sale for around $80.00 but that was a month ago I think it's $114.00 at regular price. It's got heat and it works really good but you have to flip the carbs over as it is not tall enough. I used simple green diluted with water.
299.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyma...ner&search=Search&No=0&Ntt=Ultrasonic+cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to try and build one. Get some kind of metal tub, and hook up some transducers, and heaters. Much cheaper, and built exactly to your specs.

Check this one out from Northern Tool. Tank is a gallon and it also has a timer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365419_200365419

Might work good for the fuel injectors.

I have this one and have been using it for about a year. That 95 SPX I am working on I put both carbs in it.. It is deep enough. It heats nice and hot! Some of those gaskets that don't want to come off of the carbs you can peel them off with your finger nail after a cycle.

I bought this one from cabelas it was on sale for around $80.00 but that was a month ago I think it's $114.00 at regular price. It's got heat and it works really good but you have to flip the carbs over as it is not tall enough. I used simple green diluted with water.
299.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyma...ner&search=Search&No=0&Ntt=Ultrasonic+cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats the one that is also sold through harbor freight. if you paid $80 for it, you did well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

The Sonicor 500 does the job. Might be a little big, at 5 gallons but what the heck. Solid recommendation on this one. The recipe calls for 1 cup of purple degreaser per 5 gallons of water, and 1/2 cup of Dawn dish soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Utube had a video of an el-cheap-po cleaner. A palm sander strapped to a gallon can of carb cleaner.

Tonka, consider a quality heated commercial unit if you really want to get away from solvents completely. The hobbyist machines won't completely restore the bypass circuits in 15-20 year old Mikuni's that are seeing the light of day again in your hands for their first cleaning.

I use an Omega 14 gallon unit now and it runs all day 2-3 days a week in season, it get's hot enough to save you the additional steps of fishing the carb out of a cheaper unit and transferring it to a hotter bath to bring the temps up high enough to flash off residual moisture, otherwise you're right back to chasing out the circuits with an acetone based solvent again.

When the cycle is done I just raise the basket up on to the angled drain setting and let them flash off and dry until I'm ready for them, I wire a metal ID tag onto each carb body and make a note of it on the work order before they go swimming so you know what goes back where after it's cleaned.

I easily recoup the replacement cost of the machine every year on what it saves in canned cleaner, not to mention the health and environmental benefits of not constantly handling solvents.

The best recipes for cleaning solvents aren't published anywhere, PM me and I'll share the secret ingredient with you.

Lol yup I want the secret ingredient!

I tried superclean and it sucked for carbs. It did however rock for rave valves and cleaning case bolts with minimal wire brushing

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I've come to the conclusion I can get them cleaner with carb cleaner and my wire brushes on my drummel tool.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back