Who does a good job rebuilding Merc sport jet powerheads?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman251

Any recommendations to a reputable sport jet engine Rebuilder? Most local Merc shops quote ridiculously high numbers. I have researched a few places Nationwide but almost all have had very unhappy and vocal customers. Looks like around $4,000 is the most popular price point. Thanks.

Did you find anyone..? ..i think I need one too.

No, not yet. Expected a few responses to my post. Guys on here are usually pretty knowledgeable. Looks like if you're not doing a Resto people aren't that interested anymore

Not that many people mess with the Merc boats from what I've seen. @Dr. Honda is probably your best bet if he's still around.

Not very convenient for you, but a shop in Homestead, FL did mine for $2800, incl. pick up & delivery 240 miles total. This was 4 years ago. Still running strong, 135 psi all cyl. 6 pistons, honed .030 o/s.
Point is, $4k sounds like a very high price.

Could you tell us the name of the shop in Homestead FL? I live near their and would be interested to talk to them about my Merc. Thanks

Could you tell us the name of the shop in Homestead FL? I live near their and would be interested to talk to them about my Merc. Thanks
I believe the name of the co. was FL Outboard Service. Sadly, there are some negative reviews about them. However, my experience with them has been OK. My biggest complaint about them was when they told me "It will be another week. We forgot to order a gasket." Total time they had my boat was about 4 weeks. They picked up and delivered 130 miles each way. I think the total was $2850. That was several years ago, and engine still runs strong.

hey,
I 'm a little late to this post but I don't believe you are going to find a better price than $4000, at least I couldn't. I believe the going rate to purchase a rebuilt powerhead is in that range and you still have work to do (install air compressor, VST, etc.) to make the motor complete.
There's a guy in Palm City, FL, Jerry Harris of Coastline Marine. I just had him do a rebuild of my 250 optimax DFI. He is very thorough. I couldn't find any negative posts about him. You will have to ship the motor to him which I did. You can use UShip to get a competitive price.

This is late, but it is spring and my response may help others.

Best bet is Crowley Marine for a new short block. Well worth it. I transferred everything over myself, and it was not bad with the factory manual & taking my time.

Make sure you do the following: replace your reeds (i like chris carson reeds), get your fuel injectors sonic cleaned, replace your high pressure fuel pump filter inside the vst. I went the extra step and removed all the oil injection & replaced the vst lid screws with stainless allen head bolts.

Merc engines are very reliable when taken care of - and not starved for oil.

Almars Outboards Inc.. They replaced my motor with a remanufactured short block swapped over all necessary components replaced my exhaust and new battery wires for 4800.00 and warrantied everything even my components from the old motor for 2 years

Another recommendation for Almars Outboards in Delaware. Spoke with Jack, and he was very nice. Quoted $6k to install a new 210 Merc engine in my cousins Challenger 1800. Price included carb rebuilds and 1 year warranty. 2 weeks to complete. He claims the engine will be new from Mercury, not a rebuild. My cousin is dropping the boat off today.

Does any one have a good write up on what it entails replacing your existing motor with a short-block. I have heard move over ignition/fuel system. As NJRealtor mentioned above change the reeds, wouldn't have know that except for his comment. How much are the reeds approx?

get your fuel injectors sonic cleaned, (where?)
replace your high pressure fuel pump filter inside the vst
removed all the oil injection ( ?? are you pre-mixing now?)
replaced the vst lid screws with stainless allen head bolts.

VTS ?

Dr Honda has an excellent write up on replacing the engine. start searching this site, and google, and you will find what you need.

Fuel Injectors cleaned here:
BrucatoFIS, Inc.

VST, is vapor separator tank. On the side on the engine.

Reeds:
Chris Carson Marine, Manufacturer of custom reed valves for all outboard applications.

Yes, convert to premix. even if you do it yourself, engine replacement costs $5-6k by the time everything is replaced/cleaned/re-assembled. too much money to rely on a poorly designed oil pump system.

It's a big engine, and is expensive to work on. If you can't do the rebuild yourself... then buy a new one from Crowley. With Merc... there are a bunch of advertised rebuilding companies. If you can physically drive to one, and get an engine... then you are better off. It seems like they "Send" the crap out where it's easy to avoid an upset customer. BUT, if you are waling in... they don't want to listen to you scream. (you get a good one)

Anyway.... if you didn't have a busted block... then do it yourself. Take it apart, and see what you need. A rebuild kit with gaskets should be around $1000. (Pistons, rings, pins, bearings, gaskets) If you need your crank reworked... it's about $500 from a performance shop in SoCal. (Have to look up the name) If the cyls are out of spec... send YOUR block out to have to bored. (buy the kit needed for the oversize) OR... if they are OK... just give them a quick hone.

I've bee AWOL for a while... but I'm back.

This is late, but it is spring and my response may help others.

Best bet is Crowley Marine for a new short block. Well worth it. I transferred everything over myself, and it was not bad with the factory manual & taking my time.

Make sure you do the following: replace your reeds (i like chris carson reeds), get your fuel injectors sonic cleaned, replace your high pressure fuel pump filter inside the vst. I went the extra step and removed all the oil injection & replaced the vst lid screws with stainless allen head bolts.

Merc engines are very reliable when taken care of - and not starved for oil.

NJREALTOR,

Couple more questions;
- Do you know if the Crowley motor you got had the new metal oil injection gear?
(still not sure whether to remove the premix or not, but if it had the metal gear it would help)
- Did you have to get a gasket kit for the stuff you moved over? If so just curious where you got it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back