What year "paddlewheel" speedo sensors will fit my 96 XP?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
I have been looking for 96 XP specific speedometer sensors on ebay, but not finding them. What year models will fit my ski so I can broaden my search?

Also posted a Wanted To Buy on this forum...in case anyone comes across one...:cheers:

This one is off a seadoo boat, 96 challenger/speedster/gti. The plug is 3-pronged in a triangular pattern. Could I cut the plug off and splice in my plug, and would it fit?

It is very cheap, cheap enough to buy it and cut the plug and give it a try. And SEVERAL in stock.

The 5"X2" dimensions match mine, and the screw holes and overall look of it is similar, and both have 3 wires. Just the plug and colors of the wires are different.

This is $35 compared to the $150 from my "regular" online parts house...

ZZ278000276.jpg

Scott, I looked around for dimension size to compare the units, but couldn't find anything from reference. I think it should use the same resistance to work and the wires should pretty much the same. It should work and the price is real good...

Karl

So, will I have to sign up now?

For premium services to get the wiring diagrams for the boat and the XP to compare wire colors?

Otherwise, I can cut the wires and just see where they go and hope when i rewire it, it all works.

Like you said, the price is right:agree:

Oh wait...nevermind...

My book has the wiring diagrams for the 96 GTI AND XP, so I can cross reference the wires myself:hurray:

I will have to order this thing and see if I can make it work!!!

I got the premium membership Scott so if you need verification I will look it up and get the correct colors for you. Only 2 of the 3 wires send the resistance to the spedo.

I bought it...

...and will let everyone know if it works. Ended up being under $50 including shipping, which still beats my favorite online supplier by $100:cheers:

It WORKED!!!

The picture on the ebay ad showed that it had a round plug that the three wires ran in to. But it came with just the 3 wires with the spearpoint doohickies and the rubber bushings behind them, so I was able to just pull my old wires out of the connection, and push the new ones in. Ended up being black wire matching the black on the other connection, then red in middle, and yellow on outside.

I haven't put it in the water to verify that it registers the correct speed, but when I flick it with my finger, it says I am going 15 mph...

You know...

...if you look closely at that picture, it isn't a plug you see, but the three loose wires with the thru-hull screw-on connector pulled up close to them. That is how it was when I got it.

My last speedo didn't work at all. It said ZERO all the time. The paddlewheel was broken and the axle holder was bent so it was pinched to prevent spinning. When I swapped out the wear ring, it would register 20-30mph at WOT when I know I was going 55-60-ish.

So anything better than ZERO is fine with me...:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back