What to pull off this 96 gsx?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a spare 96 gsx. The po is dragging his feet on the title. I'm ready to just give up and strip it. It isn't stolen, but I need the space.
Obviously, engine, mpem, pump, and hood. I really don't have the room for a ton of parts.
If it were you, what would you pull and save?

Everything but the hull. Then drop it back off at PO's place late at night.....at the end of his driveway. Not like he can call the cops on you, it's still in his name, LOL.

Lol that's good! I have like 6 pumps, 6 mpems, seats galore. I am running out of storage.

Perhaps, I need a better storage plan?

Hmmmmm.......

The thing about a 96 GSX is that it is a one year model in that color. So everything that is that color is a little rare. The corners on the rear bumpers and the sponsons for sure. (I really need a left side sponson, wink wink.....)(oh, but you already moved those to your other ski? :( ) If it has a one piece oil tank, they are really desirable. [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] says he sells them for good money. I assume you are a saving the gauges as well. And the VTS motor and housing if it works can bring some good change. And if it has a late year MPEM, it is worth double. It is an integrated one without a separate CDI.

The thing about a 96 GSX is that it is a one year model in that color. So everything that is that color is a little rare. The corners on the rear bumpers and the sponsons for sure. (I really need a left side sponson, wink wink.....)(oh, but you already moved those to your other ski? :( ) If it has a one piece oil tank, they are really desirable. [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] says he sells them for good money. I assume you are a saving the gauges as well. And the VTS motor and housing if it works can bring some good change. And if it has a late year MPEM, it is worth double. It is an integrated one without a separate CDI.
Lol, like I said..........everything.

OK, you win, I have a complete 96 GTX in bins as emergency spares. Except for the parts that I already had to use....

Unless it's broken, I save every part. If it weren't for bad luck, some days I'd have none.

Yes, that indigo blue is pricey trim to replace. Especially the corners and the notorious rear rub rail insert that usually falls out.

I have already used that rear rub rail and the sponsons. Vts is dead. The mpem is the older style.
The engine has good healthy compression. The seat foam is trash.
I will be pulling the rest of the rub rail. It's in better shape then the other ski.
The hood is defiantly different then my other gsx. The gauge pod is shorter and sits closer I think. I will have to get a picture to explain.

I've parted out quite a few of dam near every model, and when i'm done usually the only thing left is maybe the gas tank, I don't save black rub rails because they are a pain to sell and don't bring much but I always saved the colored ones.

Hoods I usually throw away because they are hard to ship but if they are mint I throw them on CL (pickup only) for cheap and if they don't sell in a month, in the dumpster.

It helps that I have the space and i'm fairly organized, but its amazing how often that oddball part bails you or a friend out, and it costs nothing to hold onto it. I'm kind of a pwc hoarder and its been a busy summer, probably have 10 chock full full 27 gallon crates right now against the wall, in the spring I had 3.

Over winter/spring i'll whittle that down back to 3-4 crates then start over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the 787 pulled over the weekend. Compression came in at 165 psi. I fogged the crap out of it with the exhaust and carbs off, then sealed the ports off.
It does have the desired oil tank. I will probably be using it in the 2000 gtx. That tank has evidence of leaking, and looks like it will fit.

This is what I did to a left over 96 GSX hull about 7 years ago, every spring my wife updates it with new plants.

Seadoo GSX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back