What is the best battery for a 2003 Sea Doo GTX 4-TEC ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gerardy

Despite all of my best intentions, inside-garage storage, and care-and-feeding via trickle-float charger, on a set timer, my Sea Doo decided not to start today.

In June 2015, I bought a Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Power Sport Battery with 400 CCAs, got out once or twice in the summer of 2015, before massive, epic home improvement projects consumed every possible moment during the warmer days of 2016 and 2017. Now three years later in 2018, the old clicking noise upon trying to start. Meter is showing 12.48 volts.

Not sure what I paid in 2015, but I found the same battery listed for $159.99. Again, I went out on my Sea Doo twice, maybe three time at the most.

So I am not thrilled to go spend another $160.00, albeit, I truly am done with my huge home improvement projects for awhile.

I have the rest of July, then all of August and September left - 2.5 months left in 2018.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a long lasting battery, that has decent CCAs that does not cost a fortune? Does anyone have a quick disconnect set-up on their Sea Doo?

All opinions are welcome - thank you in-advance.

Batterymart Big Crank ETX30L, $110 (made in USA) or MEGA CRANK MTX30L $90 (made in China) are 2 AGM batteries I've had good luck with. Don't expect more than 3 or 4 years use with most batteries. Here's the link:
USA-Made Big Crank™ ETX30L Battery.

The batteries on all modern PWC's should be disconnected when the watercraft is off, otherwise they will drain due to the parasitic effect of the ECM needing constant voltage. You can install a battery disconnect switch. Make sure it's rated for marine use. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Batte...-20&keywords=marine+battery+disconnect+switch

The little batteries used in these just won't last and to make it worse, most absolutely suck to get at. AGM is better for sure and will add a year maybe to life span but cost that much more too. 4 or 5 times of total drain is enough to kill them so as mentioned above, pull a wire if they're to sit. I've had excellent results from Interstate and use them on everything now but the reality is, only a handfull of places make batteries so most are just re-branded. The OEM yuasa are probably the worst I've ever dealt with for working perfect for 2 seasons and being totally useless the 3rd.

I have had good luck with odyssey batteries and Deka . But I do put them on a tender at least 3 times a month in off season . I have one of my Deka batteries going on its 5th year . But like I said i put it on a tender .

Concur w/ Max's battery selection; I have two. However, I do not disconnect my batteries and they do not drain. I have yet to read anywhere in the Sea-Doo literature that the ECU needs constant voltage. The MPEM is the battery disconnect; that's why the ski beeps when you leave the lanyard on ... the battery is discharging.

Max if you have technical information that the rest of us don't have about the ECU needing constant voltage, please provide a reference to include the specified amp hour draw of the ECU. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back