What have I done?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

igotone

Ok, so most of you will probably be laughing here shortly, If you noticed my ID, yea I got one. Its a 97 GSX, actually felt like I stole one. I went to look at this thing off craigslist guy said marine mech told him it needed a new switch because it would`nt do anything. He had purchased a new battery for it and yea i could see that. He further stated him and his buddies had been jumping accross the solenoid to check the compression and said it was good, around 140 or so on both cylinders. I`m thinking all this does not sound to bad but he still wants 1400, because kelly book is around that not counting the really sweet looking shorelander its setting on, probably worth 250 or so anyway. (sorry this is becoming long winded but bear w me) so anyway I decide not knowing jack about a seadoo I`m not giving more than 750, but i tell this guy i only have 500, he tells me go try and get the other 250 and call him back later. I leave. 2 hrs later he calls me up telling me to bring the 500 before he changes his mind, he`s found a 350ci motor down in KY. to finish a firebird sitting in his driveway. I do it. I get this thing home it is full of rank gas, tag expired in 08. I figure thats how long this thing has sat.
So now comes the good part, right, Thanks to this WEBSITE I found the 5 amp fuse in the front (grey box) that they blew jumping accross the solenoid and I replace that, my gauges all start working the hr meter shows 125 and the maint indicater is flashing, which I reset following directions from this WEBSITE, I proceed to drain the gas out and replace w fresh, oil drained and replaced w fresh, I reach up and hit the start button, and looking at things while cranking I begin to see "bubbleing liquid" around the head bolts. Its about this time I realize those bolts have the paint chipped off from having a wrench put on them, "I guess" so I reach in to try and turn one of them, It turns with only my fingers, OH MAN, all of them are only finger tight (or loose) so I remove the head just knowing the rings or the pistons or maybe the block is going to be destroyed, i`m beginning to feel sick as I lift off the head, WT? I can`t see anything wrong with any of those components. I hit the start button w the head off, It spins over like crazy throwing watery fuel/oil every where. (Again sorry for the length of this post) but I`m trying to give acurate picture. I decide to clean up the mating surfaces and put the head back on, But before putting plugs back in I mixed some fuel and oil in a cup and while holding the throttle wide open pour several half cups through the carbs, I cranked it repeatedly allowing that fuel/oil mix to fly out of the spark plug holes, which it did everywhere! after a few rounds of this I decide to put the plugs back in, I held my breath and hit the stater, It sputters to life, throws this huge splash of water out on the ground, and dies. So each time I hit the starter after that it gets a little better and runs alittle longer. Of course I can`t keep doing this because I`m sitting in my drive way. So the next day my son and law and myself take it to the river close by and this thing is kinda chuggleing along until it gets to about 4k rpm then it just becomes "hold on" cause it is flying accross the water all the way to about 6800 rpm, i`m freaking out, this is great. well that lasted about an hour then it would not quite reach 6k, then about 5k and pretty soon about 4200 was max, just like running out of fuel, I was pulling the choke to see if it would get more fuel only made it die out sooner, I know about the little screens in the carbs, BUT after sitting for a couple yrs with blown fuses and rank gas, I`m "finally" asking What else would be the wise things to do since its going to have the carbs off, should I CHECK? REPLACE? SERVICE? I am open to any and all suggestions, its this WEBSITE that has given me the confidence to do this thing right. So let me have it! Things that might happen or what to look out for would truely be appreciated. Even the most mundane advice, I`m ready,,

Good deal, and sounds like you are on your way to having a decent toy!!! :hurray:

pull the carbs off, buy two Mikuni brand rebuild kits. Go through the carbs. Follow the instructions, it isn't too hard.

Verify your oil injection is set where it is supposed to be and oil is flowing through the little tubes.

Doesn't sound like you have any problems with impeller/wear ring if you have to "hold on" when it kicks in, so you should be fine there.

You will probably be able to run the snot out of it after the carbs.

When you drained the oil... did you bleed the system? Since you said you don't know about seadoos... what kind of oil did you use. These engines only like API-TC type oils. If you used TC-w3 (regular boat 2-stroke oil) you could cause damage.

Also, did you keep riding as the RPM's dropped off, or was it a quick... "all of the sudden" thing?

From your story, it sounds like you ran lean, and may have cooked something.

last thought... did you verify that water was coming out the pee-hole on the back? You could have been over heating.

It was a good deal, just hope you didn't hurt it.

Thanks Guys for your replies, The sticker above the oil cap stated "never" use tc3 and I kinda knew from reading posts on here about the synthetic oil, It took a while to find, but YES I did fill w/ the GOOD stuff, paid dearly for it though $16 a quart, Im going to see if my local wally world will get it for me. Fortunately my son works at our local Wally-mart. and yes the Tmp warning light does work when first putting the plug on, I get the 2 beeps, all the segments do their thing, so I think temp was OK, and I did observe stream of water out the small hole. During the river ride temp light did NOT come on, and the RPM drop was a gradual decrease as we continued to ride, I`m hoping that its a carb thing. Ordering those kits asap because if the weather holds out I will be taking it out this wknd, unless some one here thinks there might be more to check out before going too far...Oh and the oil tubes did have the remainder of some green oil in them, but the syn oil has a purpleish color and the lines became that color almost immediately when we fired it up before leaving the ramp area, I did have the seat off kinda looking around before heading out, not sure what I was looking for just didnt want fuel leaking, or water spraying, or some obvious problem, right off the bat. I`m going to post some pics of this thing so you can check it out, I`m felling a little better about it all the time, Thanks Again

Try cleqning the Rave Valves. Just make asure to pay attention to how they came apart. Clean valve and re assemble the same way you took apart. You may find that cures the issue. The Raves should be cleaned once a year or about 50 hours of use. There is a lot on this site about Rave Valves aned how to clean them.

Well you had some fun, now go thru the fuel valve and hoses/filter to make sure it is air tight and as honda said be careful of the oil - mixing different kinds of oil results in gel forming like jelly on the outside of the jar and it jams the little lines and sprayer nozzles so clear them out with kerosene and stay with the same type oil - check the charging system to be sure you do not boil the battery dry.

Getting more info never hurts...

I have been reading so much here, its almost overload. The raves, the fuel lines, I guess to have this kind of fun there is a small price to pay, fortunately I do have some mechanical ability, and most of the advice is straight forward and fairly easy to do (following directions) and has been covered in depth in many posts. I am continueing? to look at almost all the posts concerning my "DOO" and can`t help but go look at the trouble shooting posts nearly every day just to (see) what is going on out there. I am glad to be a member of this site, and express that to anyone caring to hear my rants about all that goes on here. "Thanks Again" for offering up advice and clarity on what at first seemed almost out of my control. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back