What grade fuel to use

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the ethanol in the gas these days, you probably should use at least the mid grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep... I normally burn mid (89)... but they will run on 87 without too many issues. But, I do recommend using marine stay-bil in it to help balance the E-10 crap we have now.

Unless you you have raised the compression, or are running high timing... there is no real reason to run 91/92 oct fuel.

I run 91 or 92 in my boat and jet ski since it does not have any ethanol in it. That is the only way you can get away from the ethanol crap is by buying the higher octane fuel.

I run 91 or 92 in my boat and jet ski since it does not have any ethanol in it. That is the only way you can get away from the ethanol crap is by buying the higher octane fuel.

In the USA, all of our fuel has alcohol in it now.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with that statement. We have real gas available from many stations(87 - 96 oct) and most offer the crap fuel too.Check here to see if something is available near you.http://pure-gas.org/

First.... I like a good debate... so you don't have to be nice when you disagree. :thumbsup:

I don't work for the gas companies... but I don't know how much of that list is verified. The Fed's have been pushing for "Oxiginating" additives to be put in fuel since the early 90's. (so, 20ish years)

Also... after looking over that list, and seeing random Sonoco's, Chevron's, and other national brands... I really have a hard time believing that list is valid. The reason for that is... why would Chevron (Standard oil) give one or two stations alcohol free fuel? They wouldn't sicne it woudln't be cost effective to blend and store a very small amount of "Pure" fuel.

With that said... I can believe that there are a few 76's and Sonoco's that have "Race Fuel" at the pump... they may have some alcohol free fuel... but it's in the race pumps. But, since I've ben doing the drag race thing for so long... most of the guys I know, who run blown and turbo cars actually like E85 better than regular race gas these days. Why... you may ask... It's becasue you can get A LOT more HP off alcohol than running 100 oct race fuel (or AV Blue) Not to mention... it's half price.

My final thoughts....

Yes, I use to be able to get pure fuel at places like a fuel dock, on the water (Since boats are not emission controlled) But, I have buddies in the boating industry, and they tell me, that starting 2 years ago... they are getting E10 also, Even though the pumps aren't marked that way. (not required since it's "Off-road" fuel)

OK............... even if I'm wrong....... from that list... most states have very few stations, and it wouldn't be feasible (in most situations) to try to get "Pure fuel."

Finally......... why are we even debating this?? E10 is here to stay, and they are talking now about pushing it up to E15. Not to mention... our skis run just fine on E10, as long as the Tempo hoses have been replaced. (there is less detonation, it runs cooler, it's more tolerable to high ignition timing, and it less likely to burn a piston crown)

Just my random thoughts... take it for what it's worth.

I agree with the way the gov't pushes this crap. Being a pipe fitter and working on the tank farms I get the inside scoop. All gas is alcohol free at the tank farm. The ethanol and additive packages are blended per customers request/spec when loaded on the truck. They don't store blended fuels because water is a big issue with ethanol.That 10% percent ethanol claim is BS too. It varies 2-3 % but they'll never admit it to the public. We have E15 here now and there's talk of E20.

I checked out the link. Interesting. There are 2 places in our town. I am familiar with one of them. They have a sign in front that says "Attention boaters, we have non-ethanol fuel". That one would be verified. I am guessing most of the others are at marinas or are catering to the boating crowd.

Up here in Canada, a few stations have 91 with no ethanol in it shell is one. Doc... Would you still run 89 with ethanol, or go one up to 91 with no ethanol?

From you statement sounds like still 89.

I can't vouch for the marina's since I never use them. A few counties stuck between Chicago and Milwaukee have emission testing for cars but the rest of the state is emissions free. I know we built a few ethanol plants west of here a few years ago but 2 were stopped just short of completion of some reason or another. Rumor had it the owners bailed since they got wind some of the Gov't subsidies might end or be lowered making production cost a complete loss.The only + for ethanol is octane rating that is out weighed by the negatives of less BTU's , water issues, phase separation and older fuels systems not designed to handle it. I need to design another LP system for the jet ski like I did for a couple of turbo'd sleds I use to ride in the mountains.

But, since I've ben doing the drag race thing for so long... most of the guys I know, who run blown and turbo cars actually like E85 better than regular race gas these days. Why... you may ask... It's becasue you can get A LOT more HP off alcohol than running 100 oct race fuel (or AV Blue) Not to mention... It's half the price.

There is something extra you should point out here though. It may be cheaper than high octane fuels, but it takes about 2/3rds more fuel by volume to develop the same power. Considering the low availability of E85 in most areas and the drastic modifications to the fuel system (rendering it deticated to E85) not THAT many people are going that direction.

Up here in Canada, a few stations have 91 with no ethanol in it shell is one. Doc... Would you still run 89 with ethanol, or go one up to 91 with no ethanol?

From you statement sounds like still 89.

Yep... I burn mid grade (89) right from the local gas station. (with "Up to 10% alcohol") Runs just fine.

There is something extra you should point out here though. It may be cheaper than high octane fuels, but it takes about 2/3rds more fuel by volume to develop the same power. Considering the low availability of E85 in most areas and the drastic modifications to the fuel system (rendering it deticated to E85) not THAT many people are going that direction.

You are right. My truck has a "Flex Fuel" engine, and just for giggles... I put e85 in it once. I got a whopping 11 mpg (normally get about 14.5 to 15 mpg with mixed driving) But... at idle... it was so smooth, I had to turn the radio down to hear the engine running. With that said... I would need about a 25% drop in price, just to be even (dollar per mile) But, E85 is only about 10% less in price.

Just for a general FYI... gas burns at about 14:1, and Alcohol burns a 4:1, and it's a liner ratio on the mix.

BUT.... Last I checked... guys running drags didn't care about MPG. (lol)

Hahaha, no I don't suppose they are. What I'm trying to point out is the total picture with running E85. Do you guys see this much in the PWC community? I'm new to this group but have a lot of experience with turbo setups.

Dr Honda, Just curious as to what type of alcohol you used at the drag strip? The only experience I have at the drag strip was with race gas or nitromethane though I ran methanol alcohol in my sprint car years ago which I believe has a lower BTU rating then ethanol if I remember correctly.

Dr Honda, Just curious as to what type of alcohol you used at the drag strip? The only experience I have at the drag strip was with race gas or nitromethane though I ran methanol alcohol in my sprint car years ago which I believe has a lower BTU rating then ethanol if I remember correctly.

I think I'm missing something in the question.

But, yes... the BTU's are much lower per gallon. That's partly why you have to burn a lot more. But if BTU's were the entire story... we would all drive diesels. (which are fun too)

The guys I've been helping out are using E85... So that's ethanol. The top fuel guys run a nitromethane and Methanol. I think they are allowed 90% mix these days. But... I don't play with any of that. (NM is nasty stuff)

Personally... when I was active with my own car... I was running Sunoco 98 oct. I could get it local at one station that sold race fuel. I'd tank up, drive there... and run the boost up to 14 psi once I got to the track. (normal boost was 10 psi)

Is it a 951 or 787? If it's a 951 it requires 91; it says right on the ski.

I don't own a 951... but the manuals say "87 min" in them. (?)

I was under the impression you were running straight ethanol thats why I asked. Nitro is no big deal as long as you have the proper safety equipment. You are correct on the 90% limit.

Personally... when I was active with my own car... I was running Sunoco 98 oct. I could get it local at one station that sold race fuel. I'd tank up, drive there... and run the boost up to 14 psi once I got to the track. (normal boost was 10 psi)

Ya, there used to be station near my parents house that would sell that. Ya know though, its amazing what you can do on good ol 93. I run ~17psi on my 2.0L and have never logged knock; even on 100+ degree days. It's all in the timing tables...

i think if you can afford a sea doo buy the highest octance it will burn cleaner and i think actuallly use less gas

Octane has nothing to do with burning cleaner. It's main purpose is to resist detonation and has a slower flame travel. While it may save an engine with crappy fuel, it also makes less HP if the motor was not designed for it. Heat makes HP though there's a fine line between making HP and making ashtrays. Toluene is a great oct. booster if thats what you're looking for(114/Gal) We use to run it in the race sleds till the techs banned it.

So i can run tolouene in my ski..what would be a good ratio to run.

One of my skis run on race fuel 110 octane i mix 4 gallons of race fuel and 3 of 93 octane

I use to run torlene in my turbo coupe years ago and have been thinking about running it in my ski but wasnt sure if i could

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back